Kingston Peak/St Mary Glacier

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Kingston Peak/St Mary Glacier

Post by zoriloco »

I've done this route several time in my Jeep and was wondering how bad it would be to hike it in the upcoming weekends. I searched your trip reports but didnt find any results. Has anyone ever done the trip?

TIA

Alan
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Kingston Peak/St Mary Glacier

Post by Carl »

It's a fairly popular winter hike. Straight up the glacier and across the often wind blown tundra. Could also head up James Peak from St. Marys. Stay on route up the glacier as there is definitely some avalanche terrain around the lake.
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Ive never actaully made it up to the Glacier, only to the pile of rocks area. Any idea how long or the total miles from Alice Rd (as far as I could make it this weekend in the Jeep) up to the rock pile and back also do you know what is the altitude up in that area?

Thanks

I dont think Ill be trying to get to the lake

MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

If you go past the turn off for Alice and Loch Lomond on Fall river road you will get to the St Mary's Glacier trail head for Hiking. If you go from there it is like .5 mile to the glacier. Go to the top of the glacier and bear right for Kingston Peak. Not sure of the elevation right now while I am at work. Hope this helps. Just so you know St Mary's got 27 inches of fluffy white goodness this weekend. I love it up there!

-Mike
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Yeah I gave it a try with the Jeep Sat around Noon. Didnt get to far. I didnt have any of my gear so i didnt hike. But yes there was a lot of snow. Might give it a try next weekend. See how far up I can get with the snow shoes.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I hiked James Peak and Kingston Peak from St. Marys Glacier last April, and posted a trip report:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

It was a pretty sweet hike. The wind funneling down the glacier can be harsh, there's little to stop the wind on Jamaica, and James Peak is on the persistently windy Continental Divide. Whiteouts happen up there, but when the weather cooperates, it's worth the effort.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Thanks a lot for the info. I might PM you for instructions to the TH. Like I said Ive wheeled it but Im not sure of the route for the hiking trial.

Thanks
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Not sure we're on the same page here. That lake in your picture is Lock Lomond. If you're looking to hike to Kingston Peak via St. Mary's glacier you'll want to be a couple drainages east. That road you took from Alice to the rock pile is pretty hard to find in my opinion. The TH for St. Mary's lake/glacier is easy. Exit I70 onto Fall River road. Drive 8 or 9 miles until you see the $5 pay lot on your left.
jjust
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjust »

I did this hike several years ago. Here's a short trip report.

Kingston Peak/Fox Mountain

zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Wesley wrote:Not sure we're on the same page here. That lake in your picture is Lock Lomond. If you're looking to hike to Kingston Peak via St. Mary's glacier you'll want to be a couple drainages east. That road you took from Alice to the rock pile is pretty hard to find in my opinion. The TH for St. Mary's lake/glacier is easy. Exit I70 onto Fall River road. Drive 8 or 9 miles until you see the $5 pay lot on your left.
Yeah, the first 2 times I was there I got lost trying to find the right road. But now im pretty familiar with it. The lot you mention is one I have never seen. But will check it out next time im up there.
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

I hiked James Peak last November. Fun hike. James is a bit longer than it appears, but worth it. It is ALWAYS windy up in that area, but a great hike. This time of year you may need snowshoes.
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

On Fall River Road, the first trailhead access you come to is a left turn, at an obvious hard right turn/switchback in the road, which leads to Fall River Reservoir...it has access to the drainages that lead to Eva/Parry/Bancroft. The next trailhead access is the one at Alice which leads to Loch Lomond, which gives good access to the James area, but I'm thinking it's the wrong drainage for Kingston. The last trailhead access is at the trailhead to St Mary's Glacier, which is just south of the $5.00 pay lot. This trailhead, after climbing the glacier, gives great access to Fox, Kingston, and then to James, after a walk across Jamaica. And from James, you can ridge walk all the way to Berthoud Pass if you have the legs.

The whole James Peak Wilderness is pretty cool in my opinion. It's proximity to Denver is also a plus.