Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New skier question....

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: New skier question....

Postby joe4186 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:22 pm

just go straight to tele. learn at a resort...

learn safe backcountry travel habits
then go into the backcountry
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby Geof3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:16 pm

If you are a totally new skier, the backcountry will be off limits for a while. Whether you tele or AT, or DH. At least a season in bounds to get skills up to snuff in general. Once you are comfortable skiing on double black terrain in any condition then it's time to head off base...

Good luck... Tele has a MUCH longer learning curve to get good... keep that in mind. You will transfer to locked heels far easier once you give up tele... :wink:
Blue Steel

Postby dlcrow » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the input. Keep 'em coming if you've got more.

David

Postby Athos791 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

on_belay616 wrote:you wrote>> I... want to learn to tele for some backcountry. Any advice on how to get started?
A favorite tele video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAwTxpE7THk

Chris
Holland, MI

Chris... So after skiing since i was 3 and never having really even thought about learning tele, that video has inspired me. Im going to take some lessons this winter haha! :D :D
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby SkiBum1287 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:47 am

Sorry to highjack, but...

I have alpine skied for two years (well, all my life, but two years in Colorado of 40+ days). I would really like to get into backcountry stuff (should be at that Avy course at Mines) and I may have found a good deal on some Rossi Bandit B94 Respect with the included Bandit AT binding. I'm not going to be getting too extreme, and will mostly resort ski still, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these? I currently ski Scratch Brigades and like them a lot. I'm just looking to see if anyone has experience with these, or especially the bindings. Will they work fine for day to day use at the mountain, or do moguls, groomers, crud tear them up pretty quickly?

Thanks,
Nick

(My handle implies I'm a ski bum, which I thought was somewhat true until I started reading what some of you crazy people do. I'm completely impressed with the sheer knowledge and skill of a large portion of this forum. I have a long way to go before I can even think about actually thinking of myself as a ski bum. Looking forward the the Ski Gathering!)
Snow!

Postby dlcrow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:11 am

Athos791 wrote:
on_belay616 wrote:you wrote>> I... want to learn to tele for some backcountry. Any advice on how to get started?

Chris
Holland, MI

Chris... So after skiing since i was 3 and never having really even thought about learning tele, that video has inspired me. Im going to take some lessons this winter haha! :D :D

That was painful with the volumn on. Not sure what to do know :shock:

Postby Athos791 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:14 am

dlcrow wrote:
Athos791 wrote:

Chris
Holland, MI

didn't like the music eh?
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby jrsummit » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:07 pm

dlcrow wrote:
Athos791 wrote:

Chris
Holland, MI

It really should be a WP or Dead soundtrack to make it a real tele movie.

Previous