Best Dayhike in Rocky Mt. National Park

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Best Dayhike in Rocky Mt. National Park

Post by stlouishiker »

Thanks for all the advice and I was just wondering how much snow will be left in Glacier Gorge, Loch Vale, Fern Lake, and Estes Cone around June 15. Don't want trails that are too snowy or icy. Thanks.
summersja
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summersja »

stlouishiker wrote:Thanks for all the advice and I was just wondering how much snow will be left in Glacier Gorge, Loch Vale, Fern Lake, and Estes Cone around June 15. Don't want trails that are too snowy or icy. Thanks.
My wife and I just did Mills/ Jewel Lake this weekend- wanted to make it to Black lake but didn't. I highly recommend this hike as well- beautiful valley along the base of Long's peak (below the Keyhole opposite of the boulderfield).

Last spring, we hiked Estes Cone in March with no snowshoes or other winter equipment without much trouble. Only had one difficult shady part that had some deep snow but other than that, not bad so I don't think you will have any trouble in June. I have hiked the areas you mentioned in late June and have had no snow on the trails. Unless we have an unusually high amount of mountain snow this year, I wouldn't worry about the trails being too icy or snowy below 11,000' or so.
thespoonybard
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by thespoonybard »

Check out this website, there are many helpful suggestions as well as difficulty ratings for you to consider for your Scouts. :D

http://www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/hike.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Years ago, when I was in Boy Scouts, my troop did their high adventure to "Lost Lake" in RMNP. The hike is a little longer than you are looking for, however, from personal experience, the scenery was beautiful, campsites were great, and we were the only ones on the trail ALL WEEKEND LONG :!: Best of luck.
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

stlouishiker wrote:Thanks for all the advice and I was just wondering how much snow will be left in Glacier Gorge, Loch Vale, Fern Lake, and Estes Cone around June 15. Don't want trails that are too snowy or icy. Thanks.
Hate to say this, but you have to wait and see. A late season freak snowstorm in May is never out of the question, but I would say that regardless you wouldn't need snowshoes. RMNP sees so much traffic that, even if there is some lingering snow, the trails will be well packed down. I would think worst case scenario, the day you get into town, run by REI and pick up some yaktrax on your way to the park.