Phoenix or Jones A??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Linda Jagger
Trip Reports (0)

Phoenix or Jones A??

Post by Linda Jagger »

Has anyone been out to East Willow Creek and done Phoenix peak recently?? Can anyone give any snow status? Can one drive a 4wh dr up to upper trailhead?? Could a Honda CRV get up the 4wh dr part--it has clearance, but no "granny gears".

Can one drive to Cuba Gulch Trailhead for Jones A. Is there any snow up there?? Could a Honda CRV get up beyond the Cuba Trailhead--how much closer to Snares could this vehicle get.

Would like to get out to one of those peaks this weekend since its supposed to be very nice.
Linda Jagger
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Phoenix or Jones A??

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Linda-

Have not been around Phoenix recently, so not sure about snow.

You should be good to get to Cuba though. I was down at Cooper Creek last weekend and the roads are really dry down in that area. The road looked dry to American Basin and beyond. I know that is the "other" drainage, but I can't imagine there would be any snow on the Cuba road considering how dry it was where we were. Also I drove to Cuba last year Oct 28th to do Jones A and neighbors and was able to make it, there was definitely more snow last year, so no reason to believe its not dry this year. One word of caution, the crossing at Boulder Creek has a few rocks, you should be fine, but just as a heads up. I don't think there is anything really "4WD" about that road except for clearance. You will not be able to get up Snare Gulch at all, it has been gated at the Cuba TH the last two times I have been there.

Hope that helps! Things were really dry on south facing aspects last week, the peaks I did in Cooper Creek drainage Sat as well as PT 13811 on Sun were 95% dry and any snow was only a couple inches and on northeast facing slopes. You should have great conditions!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Linda Jagger
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Linda Jagger »

thanks much.
Linda Jagger
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

I hiked in the Creede area (maybe 20 miles from Pheonix) last weekend. There was about a foot of snow up high on northern & eastern aspects and little to none on southern aspects. Sorry, can't help with the road conditions.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/