Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What animal did I see on Holy Cross?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: What animal did I see on Holy Cross?

Postby 14er_Crazy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:02 pm

MUni Rider wrote:
14er_Crazy wrote:Cows in the middle of the Holy Cross wilderness? I'm intrigued. Never have seen a cow outside of a farm. Anyone have a picture of a wild cow in the woods?

I've seen cows and cow pies here and there. No pictures because come on, It's a cow. Moo-moo. However, I know some people have posted a few pics of cows on the trail to Capital.

I must be clueless. Sure it's a COW (moo-moo), but in the middle of the wilderness? It'd be like seeing a Ford Pinto drive up Grays and Torreys. Guess I ain't buying it until I see a pic. :P
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Postby Bean » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:43 pm

There are lots of cows out there. The trail between Capitol Lake and the trailhead (Maroon Bells Wilderness) is overrun with cows. One night hiking in, it was pitch black and I looked up to find myself surrounded by glowing blue eyes. Scared the s**t out of me for a couple seconds.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby wheaties240 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:38 am

Sounds like a bear to me. Just because the reflection was blue doesn't mean that the animal had blue eyes. My dad had a similar experience and the next day he went and found bear scat.

Postby Geof3 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:45 am

Easy... Alien mutilating a cow... the truth is out there...
Blue Steel

Postby mtngoat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:26 am

3-4 feet off the ground would rule out a mountain lion. And most likely a bear unless it was a really big bear. And if it were a bear, you would have smelled it before you were 20 yards from it (they smell like rotting garbage.) I am with everyone else - deer or elk. The holy Cross wilderness is an elk calving area so there are lots in that vicinity. The blue was the led reflection off the back of the retina. It can still be unnerving. But I bet you made the ridge in record time :-)
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby ketel1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:21 am

14er_Crazy wrote:

I've had friends that've tried to get me to carry guns in the wilderness, especially after I told them I saw bobcat tracks right next to my trail. However, I figured if I started carrying a gun, it'd defeat the purpose of me hiking in the woods.

I have never heard of a bobcat attacking anyone but I did search before posting and it is possible, though the occurances I read about were due to rabies or because the animal had grown acccustomed to humans. Based on my own experience, I would agree that it was probably not a predator. Sounds like an herbivore of some kind. Still would spook me, too. My mind plays a lot of tricks on me in the dark, especially when I am alone. And after an epic day like yours, I can only imagine.

This is an interesting website from the Univ of Wisconsin, scroll down for info on bobcat and cougar attacks. The stats are interesting.
http://www.uwsp.edu/wildlife/carnivore/Felid%20Attacks_files/Felid%20Attacks_copy(1).htm

Is there a TR coming?
Beth

(side note-can anyone tell me how to attach a hyperlink, so you can just click on it to get to it?)
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby LuLuLuv » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:40 am

We packed in to the creek on Holy Cross a week ago. I was awakened to the sound of a critter outside of the tent. It wasn't there long (guard dog LuLu didn't even stir??), but in the morning when my boyfriend flung his pack on his back he was impaled by a porcupine quill (somehow it was stuck to the outside of his pack in just the right position). I started to look around and noticed there were many quills on the ground. I do not think they were there when setting up the tent?
Not sure of the average size of a porcupine, I once saw one in the Maroon Bells wilderness that was about the size of a...mini horse!
Perhaps what you saw was a large sized porcupine?

Oh, and does anyone know. Will they just spontaneously loose their quills?

Postby klabar » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:59 am

LuLuLuv wrote:We packed in to the creek on Holy Cross a week ago. I was awakened to the sound of a critter outside of the tent. It wasn't there long (guard dog LuLu didn't even stir??), but in the morning when my boyfriend flung his pack on his back he was impaled by a porcupine quill (somehow it was stuck to the outside of his pack in just the right position). I started to look around and noticed there were many quills on the ground. I do not think they were there when setting up the tent?
Not sure of the average size of a porcupine, I once saw one in the Maroon Bells wilderness that was about the size of a...mini horse!
Perhaps what you saw was a large sized porcupine?

Oh, and does anyone know. Will they just spontaneously loose their quills?

Your kidding "the size of a mini horse"? Altitude hallucinations. Just kidding! And yes they loose their quills.
"I was young on this mountain, but now I am old" - Levon Helm

Postby joens » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 am

rockchalker wrote:No doubt it was "Bigfoot".

There have been alleged Bigfoot sightings in that area.
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1251

Postby 14er_Crazy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:13 am

joens wrote:
rockchalker wrote:No doubt it was "Bigfoot".

There have been alleged Bigfoot sightings in that area.
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1251

I was wondering when someone would mention Bigfoot. :D
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Postby Tennessee » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:04 am

I was up at Mount of the Holy Cross on September 26 and 27th. We camped just past the recreation center Friday the 26th. We arrived about 10pm and was in the tent by about 11. Just after getting into the tent and snuggling down into my sleeping bag, there were a group of coyotes that started chattering up the evening. It lasted for about an hour. Pretty impressive! As far as to what you saw, <shrug> couldn't tell ya, but I know that coyotes are up there.

I also did the Halo Ridge. It was a very long day, around 18 hours of pretty constant hiking, but it was worth every bit of the effort! what an awesome ridge!

Postby DavidF » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:14 pm

was it TGC?

PreviousNext