Skiing

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eli8228
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Skiing

Post by eli8228 »

My buddies and I are craving for some turns. Is there any snowfields left that can still be skied? Preferably not saint mary's, we don't mind a nice hike if necessary. Thanks for the help.

Eli
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Skiing

Post by Carl »

This thread I started on TGR a couple days ago regarding skiing right now near the front range may be of interest to you http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... p?t=134125
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I've never been, but Arapahoe Glacier in the Indian Peaks Wilderness can be skied all year, I believe. I saw some tracks in late August. Looked fun.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

dubsho3000 wrote:I've never been, but Arapahoe Glacier in the Indian Peaks Wilderness can be skied all year, I believe. I saw some tracks in late August. Looked fun.
"Looking at the wonders of the Arapaho Glacier Cirque is all the public can do. The City of Boulder owns the Arapaho Glacier and a large tract of land surrounding it. This land, which is supported by public taxes, has been closed to the public since 1904. For many years the City of Boulder sponsored an annual Arapaho Glacier hike every August, but that practice was abandoned in 1973 [Roach, Gerry. Colorado's Indian Peaks: Classic Hikes and Climbs (Golden, CO: Fulcrum Publishing, 1998), 99]."
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
tylermacguire
14ers: 29  2  1 
13ers: 12 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tylermacguire »

Have you considered Montezuma Basin? I have no idea what it's like this time of year but might be worth looking into.
cgandy2003
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by cgandy2003 »

Hey,
I'm gonna go get this one again on Tuesday this week. I skied it in August, and it was sweet. It is definately survival skiing, but if you want something very steep, and kinda exposed, then you are welcome to come. I live in Leadville, and the chute is about an hour into the mountains from my house.

Go to myspace.com/skier128 to see the pics of the chute. they will be under august skiing.

let me know if you are interested in coming. I would love to have some company. There are also 2 other chutes, one of which is bigger, that I have been scouting so.......
"Mountains are cathedrals: grand and pure, the houses of my religion. I go to them as humans go to worship...From their lofty summits, I view my past, dream of the future, and with unusual acuity I am allowed to experieince the present moment. My strength renewed, my vision cleared, in the mountains I celebrate creation. On each journey I am reborn." - Anatoli Boukreev
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Bean wrote:
Greenhouseguy wrote:
dubsho3000 wrote:I've never been, but Arapahoe Glacier in the Indian Peaks Wilderness can be skied all year, I believe. I saw some tracks in late August. Looked fun.
"Looking at the wonders of the Arapaho Glacier Cirque is all the public can do. The City of Boulder owns the Arapaho Glacier and a large tract of land surrounding it. This land, which is supported by public taxes, has been closed to the public since 1904. For many years the City of Boulder sponsored an annual Arapaho Glacier hike every August, but that practice was abandoned in 1973 [Roach, Gerry. Colorado's Indian Peaks: Classic Hikes and Climbs (Golden, CO: Fulcrum Publishing, 1998), 99]."
I've never been there, but it's reportedly not patrolled at nights or during winter. Probably not worth the risk and effort during winter, but might be a viable (if highly risky) option for a summer full-moon ski.
I was on S. Arapaho and "Old Baldy" last week, and I could see either ski or glissade tracks on the glacier. I also saw people lugging skis up the trail; they gave sort of evasive answers when I asked them where they were going to ski. They never made it to the summit, so maybe they had some other spot in mind. I think that the fine is somewhere in the $300.00 range, which would be a pretty good deterrent.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston