RMNP Fall Colors

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eye Doc Hiker
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

RMNP Fall Colors

Post by Eye Doc Hiker »

The family heads to RMNP for my 5 mo old son's first hiking trip next weekend (9/19-9/21). I know the park isn't the prime color spot in CO, but does anyone know what the colors are doing up that way? We will mostly be doing 3-4 mile RT hikes with him. Any suggestions are welcome. Preferably the east side of the park. Also would be curious on suggestions of nearby drives for good colors. Thanks for any input.
It's about the journey, not the destination.

http://www.oseyecare.com
ColoradoScott
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (1)

Re: RMNP Fall Colors

Post by ColoradoScott »

The "Peak to Peak Highway" between Nederland and Estes Park, aka Hwy. 72, is one of the most scenic leaf-peeping drives in the Front Range. The trees along the road from Moraine Park to Bear Lake inside the park are also very good. There are nice waterfall hikes north of Estes that might have some nice color and much fewer crowds and a bit lower elevation so there shouldn't be any snow on the trails yet.
thunderinacircle
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thunderinacircle »

The leaves are starting to turn up there right now but so far only a small percentage have actually turned.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.
ColoradoScott
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ColoradoScott »

thunderinacircle wrote:The leaves are starting to turn up there right now but so far only a small percentage have actually turned.
Same thing here in Evergreen at ~8,000'. But the Elk rut is happening big time! We had a bugler on Sunday and I saw an 8-pointer this morning with his harem. That's one beautiful sight as well!
mtnbikir
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnbikir »

This weekend should be good. Last weekend was still faded green and yellow. Someone will post pics soon.