Devils Causeway

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Devils Causeway

Post by Scott P »

Here is a very breif trip report in case anyone is interested:

September 6: Devils Causeway (Colorado)

After getting the weekend off last minute, we hurried and packed the gear Friday night to head off to the Flat Tops. We arrived fairly late and camped just below Stillwater Reservoir.

In the morning (sort of chilly, but not cold: 31F), Shaylee (four years old), Kessler (six years old), Kim and I set off for the Devils Causeway. It was very windy and somewhat chilly so Shaylee and Kim decided to head down at timberline and just below the saddle north of the Causeway. Kessler and I went up to and over Peak 11820 to the Causeway and he had a lot of fun crossing it. I made sure he held my hand the entire time.

After crossing the causeway, we headed SW and completed the entire Causeway Loop (10.5) miles. It was a great day; quite windy and chilly but with zero threat from thunderstorms.

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Devils Causeway

Post by cheeseburglar »

That is a great area. I took my parents up there a few years ago. Big views!
I don't recommend camping at the campgrounds during mosquito or fly season up there.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Thank you!

Only made it up about halfway about 2 years ago as our group decided to head back as it started snowing and we were'nt quite up to finishing it for a variety of reasons. Still had a great time.

Now I know what it looks like up there! Will have to finish it some year.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
telehead
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by telehead »

Love the Flat Tops
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

The Causeway is so much fun! I keep threatening to get back there. Glad you had a good hike. It was windy the day we were up there in '99.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
Matt Benak
14ers: 37 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Matt Benak »

Do you have a topo or long/lat of the area? I think I remember an article in Backpacker a few months back about this area. Very cool pics.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't recommend camping at the campgrounds during mosquito or fly season up there.
I agree. Mosquitoes are all gone now.
Do you have a topo or long/lat of the area?
Here is some info:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... seway.html
Quanch
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Quanch »

I enjoyed your pics. I've hiked the causeway several times, when I lived in Steamboat. I always have a great time in the Flat Tops. The long flat mtn. with 2 little bumps on the left side is Derby Peak(pic16). Its one of my all time favorite hikes I've ever done. There is a glacier on the other side ( I read somewhere that its the 10th largest in CO, but dont know if its true ) You can see clear to aspen on a clear day, from that peak. very nostalgic for me. thanks
iceman
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

Glad I ran across this post. Went and checked this out on 10/18 to come face to face with some exposure. Do you have a feel for how this compares to some of the more exposed 14ers. Took the loop and it was a beautiful, although windy day.
Attachments
Causeway_resize.jpg
Causeway_resize.jpg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Do you have a feel for how this compares to some of the more exposed 14ers.
It may be about as exposed as something like the Wetterhorn since both exposed sections are fairly short either place.
COmedic04
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

Thanks for the great pics, Scott! I always enjoy your TR's! :D I'm sure everyone would would agree that we always think these posts are self-centered... :roll:
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev