Must See/Must Do in RMNP?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Re: Must See/Must Do in RMNP?

Post by Greenhouseguy »

+1 on the guide book by Lisa Foster - it's one of the best guide books that I own. Plenty of maps, color pictures, and route descriptions for hundreds of hikes.

I hiked Flattop & Hallett with my son yesterday, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Flattop barely deserves to be called a mountain, because it only rises 24 feet above its saddle with Hallett. It's really more of a subpeak. It's worth the insignificant extra effort required to get from Flattop to Hallett; the view is incredible from up there. If you count the extensive krummholz forest as being above treeline, then about 50% of this hike is above the trees. I think it was about 9.2 miles roundtrip and about 3,400 feet elevation gained, with a solid trail from start to finish.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
1moremile
14ers: 26 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1moremile »

Greenhouseguy wrote:+1 on the guide book by Lisa Foster - it's one of the best guide books that I own. Plenty of maps, color pictures, and route descriptions for hundreds of hikes.

I hiked Flattop & Hallett with my son yesterday, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Flattop barely deserves to be called a mountain, because it only rises 24 feet above its saddle with Hallett. It's really more of a subpeak. It's worth the insignificant extra effort required to get from Flattop to Hallett; the view is incredible from up there. If you count the extensive krummholz forest as being above treeline, then about 50% of this hike is above the trees. I think it was about 9.2 miles roundtrip and about 3,400 feet elevation gained, with a solid trail from start to finish.
I thought I recognized you and your son from your TRs! I said to Wonderhubby as we passed (perhaps a 1/4 above the Emerald Lake overlook), "That's Greenhouseguy!" Too bad you left so early, that late afternoon drizzle was refreshing. :D
Heh. We goofed off on the Continental Divide then went on to Taylor Peak for 16 miles RT and 4,200 feet of elevation gain. Fab day.

Back on point: yes about Lisa Foster's book: excellent guide. Yes, agreed regarding the hike to Flattop and Hallett. If you are up for it, I suggest continuing to Otis and/or Taylor for some terrific views of Chaos Canyon and the Sharkstooth. (not to mention Longs, the Mummy Range, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera). Oh! And we were treated to a protracted visit with/view of a 13-member bull elk herd that chose to graze the already fall-colored tundra on either side of the trail. Super day.
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. -Jerry Garcia
Westerngal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Westerngal »

My favorite is Andrews Glacier from the Glacier Gorge trailhead.
B Abzug
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B Abzug »

I came out to visit this summer and did the hike to Sky Pond. It was very beautiful and I\'d agree with the others who recommend that hike.
Van McDaniel
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Van McDaniel »

After you wear yourself out hiking around spend the night at Moraine Campground. Between now and mid/late Oct. the elk are going through their yearly rut. The bulls are starting to gather their cows are are running the younger spikes away from the herd. At this time of year both bull and cow will be very vocal 24/7. The elk like to roam through this campground so during the rut one may not get much sleep. For those that love wildlife and have never seen this mating ritual, you owe it to yourself. They do put on quite a show between the bugleing/mewing, sparring matches and bull dominance behaviour. You can car camp here. Tables, tent sites and restrooms. Full moon this coming weekend.
Eat Dessert First!
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

The best site for wildlife traffic in Moraine Park is #115 - aka "the honeymoon suite". It is a walk-in site adjacent to a large meadow. The elk will be everywhere up there now but there will be considerable traffic near that site. I've had coyotes come close while staying there and from what I was told, there was a bear incident (harmless) involving that site in May.

It seems like every time I stay there I exit the tent "prison style" by sticking a small mirror outside the tent to see what is lurking to my left and right.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
saragiguere
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by saragiguere »

Thank you all so much! I'll be in RMNP 9/17-9/20, so I will do as much as possible in those 4 days...
mount_quandary
14ers: 4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mount_quandary »

I will put in my .2 for Mt. Ida!!! that is a beautiful beautiful hike the views are outstanding!! we did that one for our first Mt. our daughter was only 11 and our son 13 ....hope you can do that one!!

of course Dream Lake is just that a DREAM!! the scenery is incredible but there are allot of people but still......it is truly the place to be!!

have fun wish I was YOU to have all of that to look forward too!
Hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you're not afraid of dying, don't be scared just enjoy the ride!