Looking for an easy hike??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
live4christ
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for an easy hike??

Post by live4christ »

Looking for an easy hike? Almagre Mountain is an easy peak to climb, but you need a four wheel drive to get there. It is very narrow also, and it takes longer to get there than you might think. But there are beautiful views of Pikes Peak, to the north, and a bunch of resevoirs. You can even see cripple creek.
Got Jesus?
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Looking for an easy hike??

Post by dcbates80911 »

Not sure if you are posting a question or responding to one. :?: :?: :?: Your comments seem like a response more than anything. Anyway, Almagre "Can" be an easy hike, but remember, each mountain has multiple approaches. I am working on a Trip Report from a hike up this last weekend where it wasn't easy and one didn't need a 4x4. All one needed was access to North Cheyenne Canyon and some stamina along with a sense of adventure.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Looking for an easy hike??

Post by Jim Davies »

I once did Almagre from the Bear Creek TH on High Drive. It was a very long day for sure, but quite an interesting hike.

There's a nice solid climber's trail that leads from Elk Park (on the west side) to the saddle by the summit reservoir. Unfortunately it crosses closed Springs Utilities property, but the resourceful climber doesn't let that stand in the way. :wink:
Was that the path you took, live4christ? The truly easy path would be to drive the 4WD road all the way to the reservoir, which leaves a pretty simple road walk to the summit.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump