Must See/Must Do in RMNP?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Re: Must See/Must Do in RMNP?

Post by CODave »

Everyone has already said Glacier Gorge but to be more specific, one of my favorite places in the entire state, let alone just RMNP, is Shelf & Solitude Lakes in Glacier Gorge. In fact, I love it so much that I have a 5' x 2' panorama of the view from there hanging on my wall.
huelskbc
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by huelskbc »

+1 on Andrew's Glacier

I started down by Bear Lake, went up to Flattop, and then descended via Andrew's Glacier. Tons of gorgeous views, and the descent was a lot of fun! I did have to do some trail-finding on the descent, but nothing major- even a relative newbie like me could handle it. Just a sample of what you've got to look forward to:

Bear Lake:
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
IMG_3043_small.JPG (22.34 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
And looking down Andrew's Glacier :) :
Andrew's Glacier
Andrew's Glacier
IMG_3078_small.JPG (23.59 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
Connor
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Connor »

If not longs, then perhaps one of Long's sisters, Mt Lady Washinton or Storm Peak. Both are above 13k and spectacular! Storm has a wonderfull view of Glacier Gorge, and Mt Lady Washington gives the most impresive veiw of Long's East Face. From either peak, its easy to get to the Keyhole and asses for future reference whether or not Longs is feasable. Both are class 2.
Falling is bad style.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

I'd also recommend Flattop Mountain. And add Hallett Peak, if you're up for it and if weather is decent. Great views of the Park from up there.
montana1000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montana1000 »

ozul lake and all the falls that you see hiking to it real fun 5 miles very green area
1moremile
14ers: 26 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1moremile »

Our suggestions have mostly included popular spots that get a lot of traffic (even in early fall), so here's a climb suggestion that will almost certainly afford a sense of solitude (if not total solitude) plus great views: Mount Ida.

http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net/sp ... ntIda.html
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. -Jerry Garcia
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

The hike up to Sky Pond gives you beautiful views of the Petit Grepon, Sharkstooth, and the Sabre. I saw you discounted hiking Longs, but would you consider hiking to Chasm View Lake? It's not that bad of a hike and the views of the cirque formed by Meeker, Longs, and Mt. Lady Washington is bar none the coolest in the park. Glacier Gorge, too, is unforgettable. You have the Keyboard of the Winds in the back along with Spearhead. Lots of interesting slabs and rock structures in the gorge. It's hard to take a bad hike in RMNP.
Dozer
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dozer »

+1 on the earlier suggestion of Mt. Ida. It took me 2 tries to make it there (way too much snow below tree-line in early June), and ran into 1 group of people on the second try. Easy hiking along the ridge with awesome views into east and west RMNP. Plus a really good chance of seing sheep and elk.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Black Lake is an excellent choice. Bear Lake trailhead (or Glacier Gorge as well, I believe). About 5 miles each way. This trail will get your heart pumping, but its not difficult. If the park is busy, the first 2 or 3 miles of this trail will be busy, but most people turn back at Mills Lake. That leaves the last 2 miles up pretty quiet. The hike up through Glacier Gorge is breathtaking.

These 2 are my absolute favs.
"How can you keep them down on the farm once they've seen Carl Hungus?" --The Dude

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." --Yogi Berra
Beaker
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beaker »

For scenery during the hike, I always thought Odessa Lake was one of the best in the Park.....

You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.
14mountain
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14mountain »

I can't remember how long into the season that the shuttle busses run, but if they are still running (they are free), you could make some one-way hikes , then shuttle back to your car. Just drive up to the "Park and Ride" area and catch the shuttle. You could hike from , say, Bear Lake to Fern Lake, then out to Fern Lake TH, then bus back to your car. I think that is about 9 mile hike. Get a map at RMNP and you could decide on other trips as well. Thunder Lake in Wild Basin is an awesome hike. I agree with ones that have already been mentioned= Glacier Gorge, Chasm Lake. Note, there is also a free shuttle from Estes Park Visitors Center, it will take you to Park and Ride. BTW, at the P &R there is a sign that says Bear Lake parking lot full, don't believe it, I think they always leave that sign up, just so that you will park at the P & R. The lot at Bear Lake is large, and there are always people coming and going.
I was diagnosed with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) in 2002. My main symptom is optic neuritis in both eyes. Other symptoms that come and go are - numb feet, numbness and/or stinging sensations in both thighs, dizziness, etc. Nothing major, I'm very thankfull that I can still lead a pretty normal life, and of course hike and climb!
Treinfir
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Treinfir »

RMNP isn’t as wild as the backcountry in places such as Yellowstone, but it is one of my family’s favorite hiking spots. Personally, I feel disappointed if I don’t visit RMNP for a few days each year.

A lot of great spots have been described already. However, I wanted to mention a couple useful resources in case they are helpful to you.

One of the most definitive RMNP hiking books is by Lisa Foster. She describes every trail and named destination, and has visited each one:

Rocky Mountain National Park: The Complete Hiking Guide, by Lisa Foster, (Westcliffe Publishers; 2005)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1565795 ... eader-link

Some additional RNMP/Longs Peak On-line References are noted below:

RMNP Hiking Pages:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/hiking.htm
http://www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/hike.htm

RMNP Climbing Longs Peak Brochure:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/longspeak.htm
"And as for the stone that struck the image, it became a large mountain and filled the whole earth." - Daniel
14mountain
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14mountain »

FYI, a little clarification, I forgot to mention that the shuttle bus does not go all the way to the Fern Lake TH, you have to walk down the road .5 miles. I wanted you to know, so that you wouldn't be waiting at the TH, the bus would never show up.
I was diagnosed with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) in 2002. My main symptom is optic neuritis in both eyes. Other symptoms that come and go are - numb feet, numbness and/or stinging sensations in both thighs, dizziness, etc. Nothing major, I'm very thankfull that I can still lead a pretty normal life, and of course hike and climb!