Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gear Slut Thread/ Gear Closet Check in

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Gear Slut Thread/ Gear Closet Check in

Postby jrsummit » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:47 pm

So it looks like winter is finally on its way. Summer seems to be taking too long to get out of the mountains this year. Instead of reading the forums lately I have been making sure all my gear is in line for the next season ( I guess I just care more about skiing and hiking than fighting on the internet). I am officially a gear whore.

What does your gear closet/quiver look like? I really would like to know that there are people worse than me.

This doesn't even include the bikes or camping gear.

This shot is before I dig into it....
1.jpg
1.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

This is after I get into it....
3.jpg
3.jpg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 3389 times

Re: Gear Slut Thread/ Gear Closet Check in

Postby COmedic04 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:01 pm

I just cleaned out/organized mine last week after my soggy Mt. of Holy Cross trip...it was pretty grody! I threw out some food that had probably been in there for 4 or 5 years... :shock: I'll take a couple pics when I get home from work tomorrow...it's not really a closet, it's a section of my basement next to my washer/dryer where I have a bookshelf to place gear on, and a few hooks from the ceiling where I have packs, sleeping bags, bike, climbing rope, etc, hanging. It was pretty bad before my cleaning, but now looks pretty respectable. AND...there's more room...crap. Guess I'm making an REI run this week... #-o :roll:
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby randalmartin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Wow! I am impressed (I think) :shock: . I suppose another way to measure it would be the dollars spent on all of your gear. I have to say I spent about $800 this summer at REI (Marmot Tent, Marmot Sleeping Bag, Osprey Aether 75 Backpack, Asolo Fugitive GTX boots and other misc stuff). I certainly feel some guilt at times, but that goes away as soon as I am outdoors enjoying the stuff :D

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:38 pm

jrsummit wrote:I am officially a gear whore.

I hate to break it to you, but if all your gear fits into a single closet then you're not REALLY a gear whore... come back when it grows beyond the capacity of a single closet. Some degree of self-organization and incipient sentience among your gear would also be a good clue... :mrgreen:

I have a 660 sq ft "gear closet" that is divided amongst my climbing gear and computer equipment. I have managed to squeeze a tiny bit of living material into the corners...

Postby Kojones » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
jrsummit wrote:I am officially a gear whore.

I hate to break it to you, but if all your gear fits into a single closet then you're not REALLY a gear whore... come back when it grows beyond the capacity of a single closet. Some degree of self-organization and incipient sentience among your gear would also be a good clue... :mrgreen:

I have a 660 sq ft "gear closet" that is divided amongst my climbing gear and computer equipment. I have managed to squeeze a tiny bit of living material into the corners...

I currently have a storage closet, guest room, guest room closet, and the occasional living room taken over by gear. I could post pictures... but will have something worth more bragging rights after I move....

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby MDhiker » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Organization is the key...
gear1.jpg
gear1.jpg (101.27 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
gear2.jpg
gear2.jpg (70.24 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
gear3.jpg
gear3.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
MD Hiker & MommaJ

Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher McCandless

Postby MDhiker » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 pm

WOW THAT WAS MY 100th POST :D =D> :lol: #-o
MD Hiker & MommaJ

Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher McCandless

Postby jrsummit » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
I live in Summit Co, my entire residence is barely over 600sq!

Organization is key...I just can't do it.

I am glad some people are getting into this. And don't worry, I wouldn't call myself a gear whore if it wasn't true. I unfortunately have allot more stuff. That was just the "go to" closet #-o

Postby thunderinacircle » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 pm

I leave the majority of my stuff in a big, jumbled-up pile in my car's trunk. I only have one closet in my spacious 500 sq. ft. apartment so I think it works better that way. It is going to be painful to have to bring my bike inside this winter.

Anyone have any experience with those bicycle ceiling mounts?
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby trailboss1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:33 am

GEAR,you wanta talk about GEAR, I have a 10x 15 garage just for my gear. At last count I have 16 sets of skis, 4 pair of snowshoes,19 backpacks,5 stoves,6 sleeping bags,a rack of rock gear,a full compliment of ice climbing gear,4 pair ice/mountaineering boots and heaps of things that I've accumulated since my first backpack trip in 1977. yes much of it is old school stuff, a sh--load of great memories hanging on every hook, I just can't bear to toss it.
The good part is much of it is worn out!
Now that I live in China and travel much, I will no doubt find great deals on.... GEAR!

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:17 am

This picture shows about half of my gear room... If I knew there was going to be a thread on this topic, perhaps I'd have taken more :)

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:35 am

OMG. My gear closet is embarassing. I have everything I need and then some for friends. You open the door and everything falls out. I need to come up with a new system.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Next