Easiest 14er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gary Brady
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Easiest 14er?

Post by Gary Brady »

I would like to bring someone out to experince a 14 er who does not hike often. Which is the easiest 14er?
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.
14erFreak127
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Easiest 14er?

Post by 14erFreak127 »

Grays Peak comes to mind. Quandary Peak is also not too challenging.
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Sherman via Iowa Gulch is pretty tame.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
mbsteve1
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbsteve1 »

Sherman is pretty easy. I took my family up there last year - they're all from sea level. Have your friend dress appropriately, stay with you, drink plenty of water, etc. Start early in case your friend needs more time than you do!
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Without a doubt, Bierstadt is the easiest. There are plenty of summits that are easy hikes like Bierstadt, but since it only takes about 2 hours to summit, then Bierstadt would win this award with Sherman from Iowa Gulch coming in second. That is unless you take the Baldwin Gulch 4x4 road to its terminus at 13,800 ft., then Antero would be the easiest.
darvonh
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by darvonh »

So far, Sherman was the easiest for me by far.
alanb
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by alanb »

IMO Sherman is easier than Beirstadt..
If you don't mind driving a little, Handies is just as easy as Sherman, and has 100 times better views.
"The mountains are calling, therefore I must go."
tweaked by me but originally John Muir
yellowstone96
Trip Reports (5)

Post by yellowstone96 »

Has to be Democrat....only 2 miles to the summit from Kite Lake and the speed record is the fastest of any 14er....36min!
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by stlouishiker »

I say Bierstadt. That was my first 14er I did it in 2 hours.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

There's got to be some sort of parameters, or hands down it's Pikes Peak. Drive or take a train to the summit, get a burger at the restaurant, buy a t-shirt in the gift shop and ride back down. Even Evans requires you get out of your car and hike 50 feet to get to the summit.

You can also drive to the very summit of Bross, but it takes a more capable vehicle and then of course there's the trespassing issues.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Pika wrote:I would like to bring someone out to experince a 14 er who does not hike often. Which is the easiest 14er?
I'd say the one furthest from your memory.

Seriously, though, I agree with others on Mt. Sherman. During the summer months you can drive to 11,800 ft. on the Fourmile Creek trail and it's an easy hike to the top. I don't recommend this hike at all, except to give someone a taste of what it's like, because you will have dozens joining you on this hike.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Gary Brady
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Gary Brady »

CO Native wrote:There's got to be some sort of parameters, or hands down it's Pikes Peak. Drive or take a train to the summit, get a burger at the restaurant, buy a t-shirt in the gift shop and ride back down. Even Evans requires you get out of your car and hike 50 feet to get to the summit.

You can also drive to the very summit of Bross, but it takes a more capable vehicle and then of course there's the trespassing issues.
Ok. I thought maybe you could infer that I said "hike" that I wanted to do some hiking. Howerver, walking up and riding the cog train down sounds like a great idea!
Last edited by Gary Brady on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.