Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

stolen trekking poles on Quandary

Post lost and found items here.

Re: stolen trekking poles on Quandary

Postby CorduroyCalves » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:23 pm

seth0687 wrote:I feel for your pain so please don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever thought of strapping your poles to your pack???

I don't understand what would posess someone to just leave a set of trekiing poles on the side of a mountain? :shrug: Maybe its just me, but I always just strap my poles to my pack if/when I dont want them anymore...and its not exactly like your talking about 50 extra pounds or something.

But again, stealing anything is NOT cool and I truely hoper maybe someone just picked them up to try and return them for fear they were forgotten.

Good Luck.

I guess we're just not as smart as you. . . :wink:

I hear stories like this and it doesn't reinforce my desire to hike in to, let's say, Belford/Oxford/Missouri and leave a tent set up and some gear behind. Times are 'a' changin', I guess. Heck, parents can't even let their kids play outside in their own neighborhoods without fear of abduction.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby gus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I have climbed Quandary twice in the winter and left my snowshoes, poles and main pack on the trail where I could see them pretty much at all times. The only problem I ever had was somebody who didn't know how to mind his own business that made the comment that you should keep all of your gear with you at all times. I guess he must have been with the mountain police or been of the mind that I really cared what he thought. Anyway, I have never had problems leaving stuff in plain sight. Usually the only thing that I stash along the trail is extra Gatorade.

Postby davebobk47 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:28 pm

I regularly hike in and set up a "base camp" just because I like knocking off a few miles the day before and the added solitude. I always figure my stuff will be there when I get back becasue 1) Who would want to carry all that extra gear out?, and 2) Mountaineering people are good honest folks. Of course after seeing how many people have had stuff go "missing" maybe I should be more careful. :(
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby CorduroyCalves » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:36 pm

seth0687 wrote:
VWLover wrote:
seth0687 wrote:I feel for your pain so please don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever thought of strapping your poles to your pack???

I don't understand what would posess someone to just leave a set of trekiing poles on the side of a mountain? :shrug: Maybe its just me, but I always just strap my poles to my pack if/when I dont want them anymore...and its not exactly like your talking about 50 extra pounds or something.

But again, stealing anything is NOT cool and I truely hoper maybe someone just picked them up to try and return them for fear they were forgotten.

Good Luck.

I guess we're just not as smart as you. . . :wink:

I hear stories like this and it doesn't reinforce my desire to hike in to, let's say, Belford/Oxford/Missouri and leave a tent set up and some gear behind. Times are 'a' changin', I guess. Heck, parents can't even let their kids play outside in their own neighborhoods without fear of abduction.

I'm sorry, I truely didn't mean to come off arogantly, I just don't quiet follow the logic behind just leaving poles around. I can completely understand setting up a tent, however leaving something so trivial I guess would not cross my mind. Either way it sucks and I'm sure we both just have different preferences on stashing/carrying gear....I didn't mean to offend anyone by my comments

#-o :oops:

No worries, bro. That's why I put the :wink: after my comment, as it was said in jest. :)
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:32 pm

I would not leave anything anywhere on the following red or orange peaks. (Another use for the popularity map!! :D )
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstatmap.php
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Collaborator » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:21 pm

I saw your trekking poles & water about 11 am as a freind and I started our decent of Quandry on Saturday. She commented that someone maybe sat down to take a breather and hiked downward without them. I thought someone left them behind on the asscent. Either way "leave no trace". Who wants to see your junk strewn all over the mountain? Maybe next hike I'll change my sox and leave them to dry until I decend from the summit. What if everyone decided to change and leave sox on the mountain? I think that would ruin the beauty we are there for in the first place!! If you can't cary it - don't bring it.
.......and no, I did not take your poles or water.
Maybe someone thought as my friend and carried them down for you.
Yabbadabbadoo!

Postby cletons » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:10 pm

wow, lots of interesting tidbits regarding the ol' stolen trekking poles....strapping them to my pack....excellent...will do that in the future for sure...kind of duh thing to not have done...I truly thought though that there was kind of an honor system on the mountain...hiking in and camping trailside for example...I have always believed my stuff would be safe in my tent post summit...maybe not...and trust me, short legged women don't "forget" trekking poles...and as far as "leave no trace" and junk being "strewn" all over the mountain, mostly on Quandary what I found to be strewn all over the mountain was people, people, people and dogs dogs dogs and dog poo dog poo dog poo....I especially appreciated the blue bag of poo left at the bottom by the trailhead sign...come on...take the poo with you! I must apologize though because even I wasn't going to touch that with a ten foot pole...or even a three foot trekking pole since I DIDN"T HAVE ANY TREKKING POLES at the end of my hike....oh dear... :roll: ....but what a great day...I hiked with 6 friends who had never done anything like that in their life and that is a most amazing thing to witness...the face of someone seeing the mountaintop for the first time....cool beans man....

Postby ketel1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:03 pm

Depending on the circumstances, I, too, would probably have taken them down to the TH. I have left items behind while taking a break (like my trek poles last weekend-thank goodness I remembered them after a short walk). I would hope someone would place them where I might see them again. We did that with a fishing rod last weekend, too. Obviously forgotten, at a butt-high, perfect sit-and-take-a-breather log. But-I am the eternal optimist and believe that most people are decent-particularly those that share the mountain with me.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby 2_Salukis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:44 pm

ketel1 wrote:Depending on the circumstances, I, too, would probably have taken them down to the TH.

I'm always torn when I see stuff laying there and not knowing if it's stashed or forgotten.

Last year on Bierstadt I saw a watch (forgot what brand, but not inexpensive), and wondered why anyone would leave it behind, let alone leave it where it was. But I couldn't figure out a reason how it could have been forgotten either - it's not like a pair of gloves or poles where someone could set them down during a rest and head off without them. Afterwards, and especially after reading a number of "lost xxx on yyy" threads here, I've regretted not picking it up and posting a "Found wristwatch" thread.

I'd suggest that if anyone's in the habit of stashing, they make a note to leave with their stuff saying that it's there for a reason. It won't prevent theft, but it'll avoid the good samaritan being blamed for stealing when there's not a reunion.

Still, I agree with the comment that when I hike, I prefer to see flowers, wildlife and scenery, not gear sitting by itself along the trail.
Last edited by 2_Salukis on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bjergmenneskene » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:35 am

There's a saying in the Marines that seems to apply to mountaineers. "There is only one thief out there, and everyone else is just trying to get their s**t back." After all, the consensus seems to be that mountain folks are all honest. Yes...this must be the explanation. :wink:
"Nothing is more exhilarating than being shot at without result" Sir Winston S. Churchill

Postby Charla aka Chulabelle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:52 am

I took pictures at Kite Lake TH where in the background was my tent, which I left pitched all day. My friend asked me why I left it there. "Wasn't I worried about someone stealing something?" I answered with, "It seems everyone respects each other when on the mountain." Hmmmm......I guess I should rethink that......
Gone missing in the shrewd, sharp moon
Full and too soon
Was my fickle doom
As I crawled among its hungry womb
Charla Stilling

Postby David Connolly » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:51 am

Yeah, some of the previous posters are so right. Seeing a water bottle or a pair of snowshoes would SO ruin my wilderness experience. And I know for a fact going up the east Longs Peak trail I can see the roof of a building to the north. What's up with that. In fact even seeing other people on the trail takes away from "my" wilderness experience". And what's with the planes overhead? God, those pilots need to show some respect. And those dead selfish bastards on "mountains" who don't even have enough respect for the other climbers to drag their dying bodies far enough off the trail so other don't have to look at them. And footprints! Please people show your fellow wilderness lovers, even those who only get out once a year and don't have the slightest clue as to what their doing, the respect they deserve. I'd also like to be referred to as Irish-American. Anything else would be a slur.
Edited so as not to disturb. For clarification Everest IS NOT a 14er. Sorry for mentioning Everest.
Did you happen to notice the pink font?
Last edited by David Connolly on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
" I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth...."
Steve McQueen

PreviousNext