Chief Mtn & Sniktau done..what to do next?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
1FunS8
Trip Reports (0)

Chief Mtn & Sniktau done..what to do next?

Post by 1FunS8 »

Did Chief Mtn and Sniktau with our kidos the past two weekends. Now trying to figure out other ideas which:
1) A AWD car can make it to the trailhead
2) Up to 4ish miles RT
3) Prefer summits, 13ers a plus
4) Up to 2000ft-ish elevation gain
5) No worse than class 2, given the tikes climb on their own

Searching around, was kind of set on Mount Sheridan, but now I'm questioning whether the trailhead parking will be way down the road (adding significant length) since it seems to share the trailhead with Mt Sherman and we wont be there at 6am. Thoughts/ideas? THANKS!! :D
Last edited by 1FunS8 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Re: Chief Mtn & Sniktau done..what to do next?

Post by KeithK »

Mt. Flora(13er) from Berthoud Pass, plus Colorado Mines Peak, a 12er.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
tdon25
14ers: 57 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tdon25 »

How 'bout Evans from Summit Lake, via the NE slope? I think that's Class II, and I think there's at least a decent climbers trail. I climbed it on snow years ago.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Square Top Mountain from Guanella Pass is a possibility. It may be a little longer than you're looking for (6.4 miles according to SP), but it's easy and not very busy, plus you get to hike by a lake.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Boreas Mt. off the top of Boreas pass might be a possibility for you.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
ColoradoScott
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ColoradoScott »

Twining Peak and Unnamed 13,500 from the top of Independence Pass is good. Boreas is a good suggestion as well. London Mountain near Mosquito Pass is another great little 13er with a bit of easy scrambling along it's west ridge (from the hike up the road)...there are cool abandoned mines along that road too. Just be sure to park at the "wagon road" historical sign is at the creek crossing; the road quickly becomes 4x4 above that.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Chiquita (13069) and possibly Ypsilon (13514) from the Chapin Pass TH off Fall River Road in RMNP might fit the bill. Chapin (12454) is the first peak you'll encounter but you can bypass it. Trailhead parking is very limited along that road so I've always parked at the Alpine Visitor Center and walked the 1.5 miles down the one-way road to the trailhead. This may deter you because it will add 3 miles and 600-700 feet of upclimb on your return trip.

Chiquita is described as the easiest 13er in the park. It is around 5 miles RT if you can park at the actual TH. It can be windy but the views are nice. I'd say it is 1+ hiking.

Buckskin (13865) is a centennial just off Kite Lake Road near Alma. Roach describes it as around 3.6 miles RT and maybe a touch over 2000 feet. Views are quite nice and the odds are everyone will be on the Lincoln-Democrat circuit. I doubt you will see anyone.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

A nice 13er twofer is Mt. Spalding and Gray Wolf Mtn. from Summit Lake (near Mt. Evans).

Otherwise you may have trouble finding 13ers that are only 2000' from the TH unless the TH is on a pass (most of which have been suggested). Here are some near-to-town high 12ers, though:

Vasquez Peak (12947'). Starts about 3 miles up the Jones Pass road (the road should be okay if driven carefully), easy bushwack most of the way up.
Mt. Bethel (12708'). From Dry Gulch TH (try to ignore the freeway noise :( )
Revenue Mt (12889'). From Peru Creek Rd at Pennsylvania Mine.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
1FunS8
Trip Reports (0)

We decided on Mt Boreas

Post by 1FunS8 »

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. We did Mt Boreas today, a nice next step after Sniktau. That mountain sure doesn't get much traffic, only saw one other person the whole day, which was nice! But for others with kidos, there is absolutely no trail, took us almost 5 hours with 5 & 6 yr olds in tow, perhaps twice as long as Mt. Sniktau. 8) 8) The road to the pass was no problem at all for a car. By the way Bill's http://www.breckenridgeclimbing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was super helpful in preparing. Will be trying some of the other recommendations as soon as possible :D
ColoradoScott
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ColoradoScott »

Glad to hear it. It's amazing how little traffic some of our 13ers get. Boreas has such a great view too!