Grizzly - Lenawee Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ecocrazy
14ers: 51  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Grizzly - Lenawee Traverse

Post by Ecocrazy »

Has anyone traversed the ridge between Lenawee and Grizzly? I'm thinking of starting tomorrow morning at the top of Loveland Pass and traversing across to Lenawee and ending in A-basin, but I'm worried about the portion between Lenawee and Grizzly -- it looks pretty burly, and I'm having trouble finding information on it. Thanks all.
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Grizzly - Lenawee Traverse

Post by Layne Bracy »

John Prater called it class 4 with exposure. If he doesn't see this and chime in, you might send him a PM.

As you seem aware, there really isn't much beta online about the traverse, so if you go I'm sure we'd enjoy a report with some photos!

Good luck!
Ecocrazy
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Ecocrazy »

Thanks - sent him a PM.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I have done this traverse, starting with "Cupid" as Roach calls it. You can get 4 ranked peaks in a day easily. The traverse between Grizzly and Lenawee is pretty straight forward. I think that you could keep the difficulty at third class if you pay attention. We hitched a ride back to the pass at the end of the hike.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Ecocrazy
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Ecocrazy »

Well, I did it yesterday, and it was fantastic. Probably could be kept to class 3, harder if you stay on the ridge. Definitely recommended. Here's the trip report: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ecocrazy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Jack »

yeah man,
While skiing a-basin I always had my eyes on that ridge. did you go from loveland pass as you expected? I was thinking you could just start at the base of A-basin, climb grizzly from there and then traverse over... that adds quite a bit more climbing though, especially if you can get a ride back to the top of the pass at the end of the day. Can't wait for some pictures. I bet it was a sweet day. next spring when I get healthy I think that will definitely be on my to do list. The fact that it is so close to Denver makes it nice too.
Jack

(I think that is where Sarah T got swept up in an avalanche this past winter - off the ridge to Lewanee. Thank god she is ok.)
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

Thanks for the beta Ecocrazy. Sounds like a fun scramble that I need to put on my to-do list. I'm due for a rematch with Lenawee, this time definately sans snow.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/