Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Scramble near Breckenridge

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Scramble near Breckenridge

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:47 pm

The east ridge of Father Dyer can be done with almost no approach at all with 4WD. Drive up the road to the lower Crystal Lake, and you're heading uphill onto the ridge in about a quarter mile of walking.

I gotta do the Mt Helen/Father Dyer ridge sometime. Looks like fun!
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby summitrunner » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Not in Breck but there is a Class 3 scramble between Buffalo Mountain and Sacred Buffalo in Silverthorne. There are also some Class 3 stuff in the beginning of the Ten Mile Range between Peaks 1-3 in Frisco. The Gore Range in northern Summit County has lots of of Class 3 scrambles. I ran up Mount Royal today in Frisco and the edges look pretty...well...they look nasty! They aren't in Breck but within 20 minutes or so of Breck.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby Ecocrazy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:44 am

Wow - the Mt. Helen - Father Dyer traverse looks amazing... I'll have to head back up for that before I leave the country at the end of August.

I ended up doing the Grizzly - Lenawee traverse, from the top of Loveland Pass to Arapahoe Basin. Was great, not too tough, until I tried to traverse the NW face of Lenawee and ended up with tough moves on the worst rock I've ever been on. Should've stuck to the ridge all the way across to the A-Basin road. Good ridge scramble anyway with nice views of I70, Loveland Pass, Grays and Torreys and A-Basin.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Postby rpb13 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:11 pm

Definitely the east ridge to Crystal Peak via Helen and Father Dyer. I did it yesterday and it was awesome!

Previous