Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CMC Membership- a poll

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Do you belong to the Colorado Mountain Club?

I belong to the CMC ; I enjoy it and recommend it.
24%
I belong to the CMC, but only to use the occasional perks or support their causes.
11%
I used to belong to the CMC, got what I needed, then quit.
5%
I used to belong; disliked it or it wasn't worth it.
13%
I never belonged; just don't think thy have anything to offer me.
22%
I never belonged; turned off by the bureaucracy and/or attitude.
25%

Total votes : 113

Re: CMC Membership- a poll

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu May 08, 2008 10:09 pm

cftbq wrote:I checked the "too much bureaucracy" box, but there's another reason which was not mentioned: the cost! I simply can't responsibly budget enough to start a CMC membership.

Really? I joined this year and it was something like $70.
It's already been worth it for me, haven't gone on any real trips. I went on a weekend x-country ski trip, where they fed me about twice as many calories as I burned. They did make me help with the dishes, which I thought was a fair trade for 10,000 calories of good food.
They send out a quarterly magazine. The latest had a really great write up on the Gore Range.

Postby ktiffany » Fri May 09, 2008 1:17 am

My husband and I joined the CMC for their Basic Mountaineering School (BMS mods 1-5)... and WOW has it been incredible! Our comfort level on rock/with exposure has risen substanstially. Furthermore, no where else can you get that kind of bang for your buck! I mean come on- for example: mod 4- 2 days of lectures on Ice Climbing, then 2 full-day outings AND they loan you their ropes/ice tools/etc... for a mere total of $55! You can't touch that with a ten-foot pole anywhere else (the rock climbing course I believe was even cheaper). The instructors care and are giving of their time to help you- and they do it voluntarily! Sign up! It's incredible!
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals his thoughts to man... and treads the high places of the earth- the LORD God almighty is his name." Amos 4:13

Postby Kevin Baker » Fri May 09, 2008 6:50 am

cftbq wrote:I checked the "too much bureaucracy" box, but there's another reason which was not mentioned: the cost! I simply can't responsibly budget enough to start a CMC membership.
But as to bureaucracy: What I've read (here and elsewhere) certainly does sound too structured and stuffy for my tastes. And ScottP's revelation about how they've been forced to knuckle under to the hegemony of insurance companies certainly explains a lot.
I also went to a CMC presentation a few years back, because I kept hearing about how it was such a great place to pick up more mountaineering skills. What they person with whom I talked told me (if I understood correctly) was that there was exactly one course offered per year which had the slightest relevance to my desires to expand my skills, and that was only offered in Denver, and, furthermore, I had just missed the one for that year (late summer). Just doesn't sound worth it to me.
It was a great idea when it was started. I find it hard to believe that what's going on now is fair to the legacy of people like Carl Blaurock, Albert Ellingwood, and Robert Ormes.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Patrick. You're sacrificing a little less than 2 tanks of gas for a yearly membership that is well worth the cost. I use the CMC more for the education than anything else, which is top notch. I went through both the BMS and HAMS programs through the Co. Springs chapter and thorougly enjoyed it. It was through BMS that I learned the skills to do couloir climbs and glacier travel. You won't find any programs any cheaper anywhere else for the essential skills you can learn with the CMC. I went on a guided climb of Rainier for only $400! I hope to take advantage of their dirt cheap international trips in the future as well.

The few times I have signed up for a Denver hike where the rating system is used, I simply tell the leader what I have done. I sometimes go on the hikes in winter when I can't find a partner, but obviously the success rate is much lower. It's sad to see so many people with a skewed negative opinion of the CMC. Sure, there's a little red tape, but I don't let it bother me. The C. Springs chapter doesn't have a rating system, so that has been nice. The educational opportunities themselves is worth the membership cost alone.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby skier25 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:15 am

covfrrider wrote: The area they were going to indeed is a Wilderness area, but "pulling a permit" consists of opening the box at the trail head, removing the permit, filling it out and attaching it to your pack.

This is way off topic, but what happens when you get to the trailhead, and there are no more permits left? Do you go through with the hike?
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby rijaca » Fri May 09, 2008 7:41 am

Hacksaw wrote:My answer to your poll isn't on your poll:

I am not a CMC member, but I am a member of another mountaineering club.

Me too, The DMC. And while membership is open to anybody that can figure out the secret handshake, initiation rites are a bitch.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby covfrrider » Fri May 09, 2008 7:43 am

skier25 wrote:
covfrrider wrote: The area they were going to indeed is a Wilderness area, but "pulling a permit" consists of opening the box at the trail head, removing the permit, filling it out and attaching it to your pack.

This is way off topic, but what happens when you get to the trailhead, and there are no more permits left? Do you go through with the hike?

That's a good question. If it were me alone, yeah, I probably would. If I were then stopped by a FS "permit policemen" I would politely explain to him that there weren't any permit forms available at trailhead XXXX.

BTW: someone mentioned earlier, without citing a reference, that group hikes require special permits. I couldn't seem to find that information on the Forest Service web site... can someone clarify this?

Postby Steve Bonowski » Fri May 09, 2008 7:56 am

Note to Scott P in Craig: I'm leading a CMC trip to Browns Park over Memorial Day weekend. We'll spend part of Saturday helping the BLM finish up a trail to some rock art sites near the south end of Irish Canyon. With the remaining time, I have several options to offer: drive across the Green River on the neat "swing bridge" (one car at a time!) to go up Chokecherry Gulch to see an old homestead site. Another is the Matt Trail that goes up Cold Springs Mountain from Hwy 318 (got thundered off that route couple years ago). A third is to explore up a steep jeep road that climbs west from behind the Moffat County gravel pit north of Irish Canyon.

Not sure where we'll camp yet. PM me if you want to go; I'll just need a signed CMC liability waiver when you meet us and BLM has some sign-in stuff if you help with the trail work. Steve

Postby Steve Bonowski » Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 am

Regarding the issue of permits and group size restrictions, CMC has to get permits for its day trips into the Indian Peaks Wilderness and for any activity for which a fee is charged beyond the amount of member dues. These trips include school field trips that go on USFS land and the annual In-State Outing each summer. Every wilderness area in Colorado has a group size limit. Maroon Bells/Snowmass has the most restrictive (without looking it up) with a 10 person limit.

For ktimm, I don't know where you live. But check into the CMC Western Slope Group in Grand Junction. They have a lot of trips, some of which don't appear in the statewide activity schedule, but do appear in Canyon Call, their Group newsletter.

Postby Scott P » Fri May 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Note to Scott P in Craig: I'm leading a CMC trip to Browns Park over Memorial Day weekend. We'll spend part of Saturday helping the BLM finish up a trail to some rock art sites near the south end of Irish Canyon. With the remaining time, I have several options to offer: drive across the Green River on the neat "swing bridge" (one car at a time!) to go up Chokecherry Gulch to see an old homestead site. Another is the Matt Trail that goes up Cold Springs Mountain from Hwy 318 (got thundered off that route couple years ago). A third is to explore up a steep jeep road that climbs west from behind the Moffat County gravel pit north of Irish Canyon.

Sounds great, but I already have a river trip planned. Wish i could join you. All those areas above are great. If you go to the old homestead in Chokecherry, I would also suggest climbing one of the peaks of Diamond Mountain if you have time. Here's a little info I wrote up:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/289454/Diamond-Mountain.html

Irish Canyon is really neat. I still haven't been to the Matt Trail.

PM me if you want to go

Feel free to PM me anytime you're headed to the area, but I have to pass this time.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby cftbq » Fri May 09, 2008 2:41 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:I'm sorry you feel that way, Patrick. You're sacrificing a little less than 2 tanks of gas for a yearly membership that is well worth the cost. I use the CMC more for the education than anything else, which is top notch. I went through both the BMS and HAMS programs through the Co. Springs chapter and thorougly enjoyed it. It was through BMS that I learned the skills to do couloir climbs and glacier travel. You won't find any programs any cheaper anywhere else for the essential skills you can learn with the CMC....The C. Springs chapter doesn't have a rating system, so that has been nice. The educational opportunities themselves is worth the membership cost alone.

OK; OK! I'm all chastised and everything! But I still can't seem to find any real, existing "Colorado Springs chapter" that really does anything. Where are they hiding? Where are all these opportunities? (Believe me, I'd really love to find out that I've been wrong about this stuff.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby rastro » Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 pm

cftbq wrote:OK; OK! I'm all chastised and everything! But I still can't seem to find any real, existing "Colorado Springs chapter" that really does anything. Where are they hiding? Where are all these opportunities? (Believe me, I'd really love to find out that I've been wrong about this stuff.

It's called the Pikes Peak Group. Here's the information copied from the CMC website:

The Pikes Peak Group is headquartered in Colorado Springs and has over 800 members. We offer a variety of outdoor activities, educational opportunities, and social events. Membership information may be obtained by calling (719) 635-5330, or writing us at P.O. Box 2461, Colorado Springs, CO 80901. For more information, visit the Pikes Peak Group Home Page.
Different eyes see different things
Different hearts beat on different strings...
Geddy Lee 1980

Postby coloradokevin » Fri May 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Eaglevu wrote:A word from another well-liked CMC trip leader.

I wonder if those who 'pooh-pooh' the CMC for being bureacratic and too controlling have issues with other organizations and institutions in there life. Such as their employer or the federal government. Just wondering. :-k

Aside from that, since joining the club in 1990, CMC has definitely put my 30 year old passion for climbing mountains in to Hi-DEf clarity - and let me hang out in the Rocky Mountains with folks just like you. Besides, it's so much more affordable than going with those expensive outfitters who are more concerned with getting your money than getting you on the summit.
Thank God for HAMS!

Not necessarily. I'm a police officer, and thereby live in a world of rules, bueracracy (sp?), chain-of-command, etc. I don't have any major issues with the government (other than the typical XYZ-policy complaints all of us have), and I think I function very well as a member of society

But, I just don't like all of that structure being built into my hobbies! I'm not even saying that I'd never join the CMC, just that it hasn't suited my needs for now!

PreviousNext