Horton the Quandary Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ScottN
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Horton the Quandary Dog

Post by ScottN »

Here's an interesting interview with the owner of Horton the Quandary Dog on Colorado Public Radio (Click "Listen" then scroll down for "Horton the Quandary Dog").

http://www.kcfr.org/index.php?option=co ... iew&id=359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is really a treat to hike with this fellow. A true mountain legend!
Ken Gross
14ers: 18  2 
13ers: 11 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog

Post by Ken Gross »

Horton has joined me for 2 ascents on Quandary. Once on a fall climb, and a second time when I skied the East Face and ridge, well kind of solo, in April of 07.

I loved it how Horton would wait for me when I stopped to take a break...

"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755
gatorchick
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by gatorchick »

Thanks for posting that!

We have been on Quandary twice but have never had the honor of hiking with Horton. We did meet him tho the day after one of the hikes at his owners' photography shop in Breck. Super nice dog (and people, for that matter). At that time I didn't realize I was meeting a LEGEND in the 14ers world! ;)
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

Ken Gross wrote:Horton has joined me for 2 ascents on Quandary. Once on a fall climb, and a second time when I skied the East Face and ridge, well kind of solo, in April of 07.

I loved it how Horton would wait for me when I stopped to take a break...

Those pictures are proof that dogs have souls! Great shots!
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

If Quandary was not on my 14er list before, it is now. Just to meet Horton.
He looks like an awesome dog, and everyone can use a new friend :)
Might give me some insight about bringing my own dog on a 14er hike.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Joonya
14ers: 11  7 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Joonya »

Hi ,
Horton joined me while I was climbing alone on Wed. 4/30. He finished the final rise with me and helped to urge me on. When we crested the summit ridge he was standing stone still staring down 4 big goats and a baby !!! Once I arrived he immediately began chase them to my disappointment I have pics , I'll try and post them here...... but don't really know how to use this site yet......
Otherwise Horton was a polite climbing partner. As soon as I began my ski descent he joined another group as they finished the final push up.

-JC
Joonya
14ers: 11  7 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Joonya »

OK , let's try the pics........Image

If it worked that's Horton in chase......

And Horton just before - relaxing near the Summit.......

-JC
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

So the owner's conservative estimate is that Horton has summited about 1000 times... I'd venture to guess that he knows the goats by name...
ocomik
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ocomik »

Is that a lil' barrel of rum around his neck? If so, I'm hoping to run into him in July.
I'm a member of the Marmot Protection Society. Are you?
mtnldr
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnldr »

My brother and I skiied the east ridge in March of this year and had the honor of Horton's company the whole way. The weather was less than pleasant, and I had only just arrived in Colorado two days before from sea level. Shortly after the climb (we did summit - my first winter 14er) it became obvious that it was not only my brother's continued encouragement, but Horton's company (and thus enthusiasm) that really inspired me to push to the top. Truly one of the most memorable climbs of my life :!: :!: :!:
Cptkahuna
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cptkahuna »

My friend and I climbed with Horton in August of 2004. He patiently waited for us flatlanders during ourmany breaks and was with us for the last 1000' feet of the ascent and the whole way down.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellom!
COmedic04
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

Read this thread, I just had to chuckle. I am a very pro dog person...I bring my dogs along whenever possible and *gasp* let them off the leash when it's not crowded (don't worry, don't worry, they are always under voice command)...but find it humorous considering how much people love Horton (I count myself among them...Horton followed my group and I on the way down when we summitted Quandary in March)...AND how vehemently opposed people are on this site to dogs being off-leash and chasing wildlife. How do we reconcile the two obviously polar opposite viewpoints? Is Horton exempt because Quandary is "his turf"? :wink:

Also...is anyone (Bill) aware if Horton's owners know of his celebrity status on 14ers.com? I'm sure they'd love to follow his exploits! :D
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev