James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Re: James Peak Parking now is PAY PARKING

Post by rleclair »

Sorry jisherw, the "political big picture" cannot be attributed to my comments rather they were cftbq's. My point was in the "big picture" - scheme of things...
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
Ish
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ish »

rleclair wrote:Sorry jisherw, the "political big picture" cannot be attributed to my comments rather they were cftbq's.
Yea, I don't know how that happened. Strange.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all,
When I listed expenses, I forgot a few other ones. Surveying the lot, I had a monumental survey done it was around $1400. Establishing the LLC- $120. Commercial Liability Insurance- $500 yearly, this is based on what the lot makes in revenue, so I will be audited yearly. Pay tickets-$200. And I think lastly, will be the cost of the earthwork and site development, I have friends who do this work, hope they need some plumbing work done!! Or I suppose I could offer a lifetime parking pass! Anyway, cftbq, I look forward to meeting you sometime! To all, I really do understand the "paying to park" thing being upsetting. My wife took the 3 1/2 year old to the St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown Denver, and had to pay $10 to park , there was'nt even a porta-potty on site. As far as us raising the fee, I can assure you(as you already know) if I was to charge more, it would probably start the next revelution!! Honestly, I feel the $5 is the max. anyone should have to pay to park. At least with the amenities I am providing. In fact, now that I think about it, the last concert we saw at the Pepsi center we had to pay $10 to park, plus the tickets for 2, drinks & food, t-shirt & hat , getting close to $200 just to see a show, depends on the band too I guess.
Thanks, Paul Johnson
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Just noticed a mistake, revelation--revolution!! RIP R.N.M. and C.B
mcfadden
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcfadden »

Hi everyone,

There is more politics involved in this situation then many of you are aware of and it is a double edged sword. You see I have lived up there for three years and know Paul. I lived up there because I valued the outdoors and the freedom it brings. But during the summer, hundreds of people a day come to the glacier and many of them (not all or most) leave their trash and human waste everywhere. Not to mention the illegal fires made by ripping of branches from 200 year old bristlecone pines and beer bottles everywhere. The mountain is destroyed every year by ATVs making illegal trails above tree line and people trashing the tundra/lake area by not staying on the trail. Like all rules and fees, they are put in place because things get out of control. #-o

On the other side of the coin, Paul is in it to make money. He fails to mention that he desperately wants the Coors family to develop the old ski area on the mountain to make a snowboard terrain park. He also owns 5-6 other lots next to the glacier that he wants to develop into rental cabins. [-X I just have a problem when the Johnson Family shows up at water board meeting with Eclipse Snowpark gear on and then say there impartial!

If you want to hike Lames Peak and Park for free in the summer I would suggest going to Lock Lomond. It actually makes the hike shorter and there are beautiful lakes there. I know that area like the back of my hand so let me know if you have any questions.
:wink:
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

Sounds like a reglar old Hatfield vs McCoy power struggle goin on up there an that there glasher... :guns: :twisted: :fight: :justkillme: :iluvbeer:
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

I have yet to approach James Peak via the Rollins Pass Road, but it would make climbing the couloirs a lot easier that hiking up and then back down via St. Mary's. I have approached from the Mt. Bancroft side, which is really beautiful.
Last edited by timstich on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

I would suggest going to Lock Lomond
Just an FYI (since you know it like the back of your hand) ... it is Loch (not lock). :lol: After reading this entire thread, I can honestly say that you ALL should thank your lucky stars that you don't live in the state of Washington. EVERYTHING is pay. You have to have (and pay for) a sno-park pass just to park in the wintertime at most ALL trailheads. And, there's fees and permits in the summertime too (such is the way of one of the most "unionized" states in the country).
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
mcfadden
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcfadden »

Thanks presto....was typing a little too fast
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

No problem, McFadden ... we all suffer from that affliction from time to time. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

mcfadden wrote:Hi everyone,

There is more politics involved in this situation then many of you are aware of and it is a double edged sword. You see I have lived up there for three years and know Paul. I lived up there because I valued the outdoors and the freedom it brings. But during the summer, hundreds of people a day come to the glacier and many of them (not all or most) leave their trash and human waste everywhere. Not to mention the illegal fires made by ripping of branches from 200 year old bristlecone pines and beer bottles everywhere. The mountain is destroyed every year by ATVs making illegal trails above tree line and people trashing the tundra/lake area by not staying on the trail. Like all rules and fees, they are put in place because things get out of control. #-o

On the other side of the coin, Paul is in it to make money. He fails to mention that he desperately wants the Coors family to develop the old ski area on the mountain to make a snowboard terrain park. He also owns 5-6 other lots next to the glacier that he wants to develop into rental cabins. [-X I just have a problem when the Johnson Family shows up at water board meeting with Eclipse Snowpark gear on and then say there impartial!

If you want to hike Lames Peak and Park for free in the summer I would suggest going to Lock Lomond. It actually makes the hike shorter and there are beautiful lakes there. I know that area like the back of my hand so let me know if you have any questions.
:wink:
Thanks for your post.

This is sort of what I was driving at with my other posts... The fact that the almighty dollar is driving this venture cannot be ignored, and is completely transparent to any of us who have ever run a business in the past.

I agree that the area up there was being trashed, and that is a large part of the reason that I rarely went there in recent years. I truly feel sympathy for those of you who live in the area, and deal with that type of mess in your own back yard. Sadly, I doubt that this parking venture will do much to solve the problem. The trash is on FS land, and the FS has proven to be either unwilling or unable to remedy the problem. I've seen the ATV's up there, and I have seen people attempting to convert the snowfield itself into something that very closely resembles a junkyard terrain park for teenage snowboarders!

If it wasn't for the cost of parking, I bet you could talk a number of folks on this site into assisting with a clean-up day on the mountain... I'm always a fan of accomplishing something while enjoying the mountains!

Anyway, thanks for the Loch advice... I'll definitely try that approach in the future!
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all,
The almighty dollar, or money in general, is driving everything in this world! Obviously, I have invested money in the parking business, and need to make a profit. It's the same as anyone having a job, and expecting to be paid. Eclipse is a seperate issue from my parking lot. And yes, I am in favor of the existing(1930-1986) ski area being revamped and reopened. And my 6 lots under the glacier in our sub-division, will not be developed for rental cabins, those would go by my house on any of 7 different lots. Besides what I do with MY property is my business, and is totally subject to county process, all of my ideas for my properties are in the intrest of the public and recreation users alike, I have no plans to close off my property and stop tourism. As far as politics go, everyone is pro/con about every issue, the difference is that my views on Eclipse cannot affect decisions made about Eclipse. In fact, we have an even split on our board of pro/con directors, when it comes to Eclipse. As far as parking by Loch Lomond, The seasonal gate opens July 15, for everyones info.
Paul