Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 am

The mission of 14ers.com has always been to provide 14er information and photos in an open environment without ads and clutter. The model has been working, but I know there's probably more helpful functionality that I could add to the site.

So, what additions would you like to see on the site?

I'll try my best to add anything that makes sense and will be useful.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: HOW CAN I IMPROVE 14ERS.COM?

Postby covfrrider » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 am

Hey Bill,

The site is really great. I have found a ton of great info here and enjoy the useful (and sometimes less than useful) banter.

Here's an idea: How about a section just like the trailhead status page for campgrounds/campsites for each range/mtn. Then people could update that as well. I know campground info is available other places, but with the number of people using 14ers.com, I think the info here would be more up to the minute.

Keep up the great work! =D>

Postby JoeyJ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 am

Hard to improve on the best!
well done.

You've already added and provided so much on this site, a hearty thanks is in order!
We all love the ad free/clutter free environment 4 sure.
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Postby mtnview » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:07 am

One feature that I think would be nice is the ability to upload a photo directly from my hard drive to a post.

You can do this over at an outdoor site called Club Tread. http://www.clubtread.com

Theirs is still not perfect as you have to click the photo and a second window shows the full size.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:16 am

mtnview wrote:One feature that I think would be nice is the ability to upload a photo directly from my hard drive to a post.

You can do this over at an outdoor site called Club Tread. http://www.clubtread.com

Theirs is still not perfect as you have to click the photo and a second window shows the full size.

You can do this now in the new version of the forum. Just click the "Upload Attachment" tab under the posting area and you can select the image off of your computer. Keep in mind that there are some file size restrictions, so you may have to resize your image before uploading.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:22 am

Bill,

Add a couple more moderators. I have notice some threads deteriorating and really taking a turn for the worst and should be moderated or closed at times.. I will certainly volunteer to be a moderator if you'd like. Let me know.

Vince
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:23 am

My only addition I could think of was trip reports for "other" mountains other than the ones listed, but thats been taken care of, i love the simplicity of this site, or maybe I just spend way too much time on here, but I agree, no fixing needed that I can think of.

Postby slopestyle » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:25 am

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:Bill,

Add a couple more moderators.

+1
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:26 am

robinmtns wrote:Here's one: when a forum link is clicked, it would be nice to go to the LAST page of the thread rather than the first, or at least have the option (via our setup) to do so.

Great site in any case; don't change much. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can already do this by changing your settings in the User Control Panel at the top of the forum. Here's a screen shot of the appropriate area to make the changes:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:28 am

Add a couple more moderators. I have notice some threads deteriorating and really taking a turn for the worst and should be moderated or closed at times.. I will certainly volunteer to be a moderator if you'd like. Let me know.

Vince

Yeah, it's probably time to add a couple more. I can think of two people that I'll ask via PM today...

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:29 am

Vince

I disagree. I think people here are already far too sensitive about some things on this site. Sure, sometimes a thread gets a little off course (see the 'A Different Man' thread) but it's rare. I don't want to see an overmoderated forum. Things are working fine as is in my opinion.

Postby mtnview » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:33 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
mtnview wrote:One feature that I think would be nice is the ability to upload a photo directly from my hard drive to a post.

You can do this now in the new version of the forum. Just click the "Upload Attachment" tab under the posting area and you can select the image off of your computer. Keep in mind that there are some file size restrictions, so you may have to resize your image before uploading.

What size restrictions are in place Bill? kb size limit?
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Next