Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

skiing??

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: skiing??

Postby slopestyle » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:52 pm

You should definitely take it slow to make sure you learn good technique at a ski area. Work on progression at an easy level for you...no need to rush it. Another thing I recomend is maybe take up some Nordic Skiing to mix it up a bit, I actually like to do a bit of Nordic every once in a while just for fun. Like Bill said though, you need to have more than adaquate experience and skill before you even start to think about skiing in the backcountry. One of the most necessary things you need to do is get some instruction on avalanche safety before even thinking of attempting to ski down a slope, in my experience skiers/boarders trigger more slides than snowshoers......

But once you get better at skiing it will add a very fun and rewarding aspect to your backcountry experience.
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"

Postby thunderinacircle » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:22 pm

With all the 14ers.com group gatherings/hikes, I'm surprised no one has initiated a "14ers.com ski lesson" at one of the resorts. I know it is a lot cheaper if you take the lessons as a group, and I'd assume you'd feel more comfortable (ie less stupid) in the company of other like-minded folks in the same boat as you. Might make for a pretty fun time actually! If not, you can always just get drunk afterwards :P
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:18 am

mrtex wrote:ajkagy, thanks for the response. double blacks huh? wow. i have a ways to go.

i am starting to realize that i was under the wrong impression. i assumed wrongly that you would typically ski down the route you came up. i suppose that may be the case at times. it sounds like from everyones advice, if i am reading into it correctly, that thats not always the case.

Double blacks are just a relative comparison of conditions you might possibly face in the backcountry. the backcountry isn't all hardpacked nicely groomed wide runs as in a ski resort...you could have snow conditions that would make even an easy slope feel hard. Obviously you can ski backcountry without being comfortable on a double black, but it would be a good idea to be.

I wouldn't fret about being a newcomer to skiing, everybody was a beginner at one time or another. The learning curve for skiing is very face in my opinion, I was able to ski double blacks without falling in 2 months after I started skiing, but the time it takes to learn varies for person to person. I would definatly take a lesson to start yourself out on the right foot though.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 am

I agree with the folks here to some extent. But I think they are approaching it from the standpoint of skiing off the summit.
Usually if a slope can be skiied, it can be glissaded which is a knee saver when done correctly.
You can get a backcountry set up of some sort and ski only the trail portions below timberline, leave the skis and climb ridges to the summit. If you encounter something too steep to descend comfortable, you can walk or leave the skins on to slow you down.
This would really only be applicable in the winter because most of the long slog, knee busting trail sections into the mountains will be melted out by the springtime. And winter climbing has some other issues!

Postby JayMiller » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:50 pm

cheeseburglar said:
You can get a backcountry set up of some sort and ski only the trail portions below timberline, leave the skis and climb ridges to the summit. If you encounter something too steep to descend comfortable, you can walk or leave the skins on to slow you down.

Keep in mind that the hiking trails are actually really narrow thru the trees. If you can't make short powerful braking turns and handle tree skiing, which are an advanced techniques, you will be forced to snowplow down these trails. I really, really, REALLY wouldn't want to snowplow for 2 or three miles.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Bottom line is that no novice skier should be skinning up a 14er or skiing in the BC to begin with. Please take note of what Bill Middlebrook and others have said. Tune your skills at a mountain resort first for a few years. I have been skiing for 30 years and I am always humbled by what the Colorado BC can throw at you.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Bean » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:02 pm

I've experienced some great snow on the 14ers, but I've also been surprised by conditions so bad I wouldn't have even thought it possible. As has been said many times, learn what you're doing before you get out there.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ccunnin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 pm

A 14er's ski lesson?
What a great idea. I've only skiid(?) down two and I know that I could still use a few lessons here and there. It is nice though. Makes that climb up more fun with the anticipated ski down.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Warning: trying to teach somebody to ski is a good way to make an enemy. It's better to let the ill-will flow onto a paid instructor.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby bustaheel » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Warning: trying to teach somebody to ski is a good way to make an enemy. It's better to let the ill-will flow onto a paid instructor.

Read: pissed off girlfriend.

Some of the most comic things to watch at a ski area. A boyfriend trying to teach his girlfirend to ski.
Probably nowhere but in Boulder would one encounter strippers who spend there vacations trekking in Nepal.

Postby cougar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm

this is another option but may be more work going up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flztm1fF6s

not sure how the class ratings go with this

Postby mrtex » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:10 pm

cougar, thats just silly. the concern would no longer revolve around my knees coming down the mountain but rather my back trying to carry the kayak up the mountain. i can just see the ultralight enthusiast cutting the handle off his fork and replacing the foam cushion in his waist and shoulder pack straps with his extra set of socks, carefully counting every ounce, and then lugging 50 lbs worth of boat up the mountain.

PreviousNext