Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Garmin GPS Marine Data

Postby Tebsinar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:38 pm

I just got a Nuvi-200 and have this crazy thought that I may be able to load marine GPS data for use when boating.
Will the download site allow me to get the data identified as US014R (US Gulf Coast) and download it to an SD card.

Re: GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Postby mrburns » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:21 pm

So I just bought these maps, and although I haven't used them outside of my house, I think they are going to be great. I was looking at some of my previously saved tracks, and I could really see myself wasting a lot of time with this.

My question is for people who have a GPS Map 60CSX. Is there a way to make the backlight always come on when you press a button? I figured out how activate the backlight through Setup>Display>Backlight level, but every time I turn it off/on, it reverts back to not backlighting. I know that not backlighting saves batteries, but sometimes I don't care about saving batteries. Thanks in advance.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby Kane » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:14 am

mrburns wrote:So I just bought these maps, and although I haven't used them outside of my house, I think they are going to be great. I was looking at some of my previously saved tracks, and I could really see myself wasting a lot of time with this.

My question is for people who have a GPS Map 60CSX. Is there a way to make the backlight always come on when you press a button? I figured out how activate the backlight through Setup>Display>Backlight level, but every time I turn it off/on, it reverts back to not backlighting. I know that not backlighting saves batteries, but sometimes I don't care about saving batteries. Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Are you saying that you want the backlight to never turn off? I don't think that option is available. With the settings you have selected, your backlight should turn on when you hit any button, and turn on with the percentage of light level you have pre selected in Display. However it will turn off after the backlight Timeout is up. Mine is set up Setup>Display>Backlight level & Blacklight timeout (30sec...my choice) so it willl turn off after 30 secs.

Hope this makes sense.

Kane

Postby Rigel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:06 am

Having just gotten a Garmin GPS from my wife for my birthday (isn't she great?), I hopped over to the Adventures at Altitude website and noticed that through April 30, the maps are $20 off.

This takes the price of the Colorado maps down to just $60!
Is it not better to take risks... than die within from rot? Is it not better to change one's life completely than to wait for the brain to set firmly and irreversibly in one way of life and one environment? I think it is... taking risks, not for the sake of danger alone, but for the sake of growth, is more important than any security one can buy or inherit.
--Charlie Houston

Postby bookerlen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I see this topic hasn't been hit for some time but I'm hoping someone can help me.

My lovely and talented wife bought me a Garmin Oregon 450 GPS for Christmas. I'm not a techie so need a little help in utilizing it and the manual, what there is, doesn't help with the subject. I'm trying to understand the process of how to put 24K maps on it and also have the 14ers waypoints/routes on it when I hike or climb. Is this the correct process:

1. The unit has a worldwide basemap already loaded
    2. Load the 24K map onto my computer (overlays the basemap)
    3. Download the route/waypoints (overlays the 24K map). Is this then saved as a file?
    4. Download the route/waypoint file to the GPS unit

I noticed there are three waypoint file types on 14ers (.GPX, .TPO,.KML) along with

Download .GPX file of Colorado 14ers (28kb)
Download .GPX file of Colorado 13ers (126kb)
Download Google Earth (.KMZ) Master File

which files should I use? I've looked for a link to explain what the process is but haven't landed on a good step-by-step explanation which explains it in non-techie language. Anyone know of one?

Last questions:

1. Should I stick to the Garmin 24K maps or are there better ones which will work and interface with the Garmin unit's features?
    2. I found their maps on DVD for $89.95 for each available region; is that a fair price or is there a better place to buy them?
    3. Is it better to get maps on DVD, SD Card, or download, or does it matter?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, this is all new to me, and as a non-techie, I don't want to spend money until I know how to go about using the unit properly. This is one of the best communities I've found on the web and I appreciate all the great help and advice the 14er community provides.

Thanks all.
Bookerlen

"Make us Thy mountaineers; we would not linger on the lower slope"
-Amy Carmichael (The Last Defile)-

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm not sure who Garmin thinks they are making GPS for. They lack any instructions whatsoever but come with a detailed instruction to put in the battery!

Anyway, I just got a etrex and I know its not so similar with your model, but following CONative's steps pretty much solved everything with the free topo maps too. This is my understanding.

1 and 2 are correct.
route/waypoints only overlay on the 24K map for visualisation purposes. The routes/waypoints themselves are separate files and the maps are separate files. They are just overlayed on each other in GPS/software.

I dont know anything about .TPO files. But GPX files are what your GPS system uses, to load routes/waypoints and also to save your tracks/waypoints. KML is basically Google Earth files, to see your tracks on nice User Interface :) I believe Google earth can take in GPX files but save the tracks it in KML format.

Regarding accuracy of free maps/paid maps, someone more experienced can comment. I'll be content with the free maps and 90 bucks in my pocket for now :)

EDIT: Ooops, I was referring to CONative's post in this thread - http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32258&p=380790&hilit=garmin#p380790
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Hey there! Former Michigan resident myself, as well as a Garmin Oregon owner.

1. The unit has a worldwide basemap already loaded
2. Load the 24K map onto my computer (overlays the basemap)
3. Download the route/waypoints (overlays the 24K map). Is this then saved as a file?
4. Download the route/waypoint file to the GPS unit

1.Yes
2.Yes
Pause here. Try not to think of the route/way points as being within the maps. Once the maps (basemap and/or 24K) are loaded to the GPS (as well as the computer) you’re pretty much done with that part. Steps 1 and 2 are really only going to be done once.
3. Downloading way points will pop it up on your screen. (I use mapsource as my default.) Likewise, opening a brand new screen and adding your own custom waypoints is the same.
4. Then you have a choice. Transfer it to your GPS? Save it to your computer to transfer it to your GPS later? Whatever you want. I usually upload any waypoints I add/download, then close the info on the map without saving it. (Once its on the GPS, I don’t really have a reason to keep it on the computer. If I want it later, I’ll reverse action and upload from the GPS to the computer to pop it back up.)

I noticed there are three waypoint file types on 14ers (.GPX, .TPO,.KML) along with

Download .GPX file of Colorado 14ers (28kb)
Download .GPX file of Colorado 13ers (126kb)
Download Google Earth (.KMZ) Master File

which files should I use? I've looked for a link to explain what the process is but haven't landed on a good step-by-step explanation which explains it in non-techie language. Anyone know of one?

I’d use .gpx. Depending on the program you use, sometimes the default file extension when you save it to you computer is .gdb (I think), but I just change it and work on everything with .gpx.

Step by step for how I use GPX from this site (this is after your maps are already on your computer/gps):
1. Click the gpx file for the peak.
2. I don’t save as, I just “open with” and select mapsource. (My default)
3. The waypoints will show on your mapping program on the computer.
4. Add-delete-make whatever changes you want.
5. Upload to GPS. (Mapsource has a hotbutton for this, most programs should too.
The waypoints are on the GPS.

Last questions:
1. Should I stick to the Garmin 24K maps or are there better ones which will work and interface with the Garmin unit's features?
2. I found their maps on DVD for $89.95 for each available region; is that a fair price or is there a better place to buy them?
3. Is it better to get maps on DVD, SD Card, or download, or does it matter?

1: I use “Above the Timber” (http://abovethetimber.com/) for Colorado. 24K maps, I believe around 50bucks. Works GREAT with the Oregon. (Cannot be used as standalone, must be run through Mapsource. Consider “Above the Timber” as the network of “roads”, and Mapsource as the “car”. In other words, Mapsource is the operational system to work on the maps, Above the Timber is just the maps.

2: Not familiar with those maps, so I couldn’t say.

3: I like DVD, but downloading is usually cheaper. DVD allows you a hard copy in case your computer blows up or something…

I just read through what I typed, and it sounds WAY more confusing than it is. Play with it (once you decide on your maps) and you’ll figure it out in no time. Heck, I probably dont even do it "correctly", but it works for me! :D

You’ll find the Oregon to be pretty user friendly as far as GPS’s go.

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby shearmodulus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:11 am

The GPSMaps 62s supports micro-SD. I think I put an 8-gig chip in. I've been using the free maps on the web with map source, but I may upgrade. I like the paper contour interval on my backup maps, but my gps is easier to pull out of my side pocket and read in 60 mph winds.

Postby groomden » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 am

Can someone that owns the Colorado Above the Timber maps comment as to how many of the routes from this site are already in the maps? i.e. Is Halo Ridge on Holy Cross in the Above The Timber maps? I just bought a gps and want to get a set of good topo maps with as many trails as possible already on the map.

Not quite sure why its so complicated to turn a track into a navigable trail on Garmin units? Something like this is my dream scenario:
http://support.delorme.com/WebHelp/topo8/delorme_help/b_tutorials/tutorial_convert_tracks_into_trails_t2.htm

If that was available to supplement Garmin's base topo maps life would be grand:-) Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dennis

Postby randalmartin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 am

Here is a screenshot of the Holy Cross area within the Above The Timber map. The Halo Ridge route is not included, however, I have found the majority of the standard and alternate routes are included. Having said that I will often load the gpx file from this site for the route which has waypoints which are actually more useful because you can always navigate specifically to a waypoint. Typically I will upload the waypoints and then delete most of them, just leaving me with some key ones.

HolyCross.jpg
HolyCross.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 790 times

Postby groomden » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:04 am

cool, thank you

Garmin eTrex 20

Postby MountainSlayer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello,

Has anyone used the eTrex 20? I do not need anything fancy, just a supplement that is detailed enough to help me ensure I am on-track on a 14er route so I don't get off-course.

Thanks,

Kris

PreviousNext