Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

SPLITBOARD

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

SPLITBOARD

Postby redneb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 am

Anybody out there have a splitboard? I've been salivating over them for a few years and am about in the market. I'm leaning towards Venture in Silverton, to support the little fella but still undecided. Any info would be much appreciated.

Re: SPLITBOARD

Postby osubg1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 am

I have a Voile Split 66. I'm still figuring out the best setup, it's an ongoing thing for me, since I've switched to riding with AT ski boots. Anyway, http://www.splitboard.com has board reviews and setup advise. I recommend voile, since they've been around a long tome, but venture boards look great too. Also, Prior. Anyway, it's all on that site. I'll be riding at beaver creek on my split this weekend getting my final setup complete!

Postby tonyw » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:23 am

The splitboard from Venture, WOW!!!

I don't have one, but someday I will. My friend manages a snowboard shop in Denver, he has nothing but positive things to say about the Venture guys, and their product line.

Postby Lhotse » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 pm

I split my own Salomon Fastback using a jig on a table saw. I had a guy in Washington put on the hardware since he does it professionally. It's been great for 2 years now. I recently got some La Sportiva Nuptse boots and will be trying them out tommorrow up at Cameron Pass. It's the best thing for backcountry snowboarders, but we still dont have it as easy as skiiers.

You should look into splitting your own board. I did mine, new board and all for under $500.00. Those things are on the market for $600-$800.
"Tommorrow Is Promised to No One" ..Walter Payton...Brian Rush

Postby tylermacguire » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm

I have a Burton S Series 162 that I like. The one thing that disapoints me about it is the base is not very durable. Everytime I hit something I am shocked by the amount of damage it does. Some things I considered when shopping:

1. I refused to purchase a cap constructed Split Board. They cost way too much to risk destroying a side wall. Atleast with a vertical side wall if damaged it can be repaired too some extent. Probably not to perfection but atleast rideable.

2. Though they do not advertise it, Never Summer will make a Split Board if you contact them. I believe they charge $1,400 for everything; board, binding interface, skins and maybe crampons not sure. If I had the coin I would have gotten one of these boards no questions asked.

3. It seems that many people buy Splitboards and then never ride them. I eventually ran into this exact situation and got a great deal on last years never ridden board.

4. Splitboards are heavy! I went a bit shorter with my Split compared to my regular Backcountry board to shed some extra wait. This is Definitly a personal preference and I am sure some will argue that you should go longer with a Split.

I hope some of this helps!

Postby shari3100 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 pm

I have a Prior Khyber that I love. With prior you can choose any of their top sheets and bases and they will costum make it for you or you can buy one that is already made. The Khyber is tapered so it is supposed to be made more for powder.

Postby redneb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:43 pm

Well thank you very much. I didn't know there were so many split owners out there. I just walked in from a 5 hour snowshoe up and 10 minute ride down and wonder how much faster it would've been on a split. I reckon I should just get it over with and put one on the free money card. I just got off the phone with a little lady from Venture and they have quite a few demos coming up or maybe I'll just get out the jigsaw. Thanks again.