Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry Skis

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Backcountry Skis

Postby sherpasmith » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:45 am

USA Keller,
I'm currently on a pair of G3 Barons w/FR+. They advertised the Barons as the 'guide' ski, meaning they should work well in all conditions. I ski them in the backcountry almost every weekend. No problems. This past Sunday I skied Copper Mountain. I was able to ski the steep stuff in the back bowls, I skied pow in the trees, I cruised hard in the afternoon....and sure enough, the G3s handled it all. I'm very pleased. I've skied K2s and Movements in the past. The G3s are a step above the K2, IMO.
-SS

Re:

Postby Hacksaw » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 am

USAKeller wrote:I agree with comin2getcha about trying on several boots in a local store to see what model/brand you like, and waiting for good deals online

Hope you like the "online fitting and adjustment service......." :roll: :roll: #-o
Last edited by Hacksaw on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Re: Backcountry Skis

Postby sudnstop » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 am

I was lucky to get the G3 El Hombre from Santa, what a guy. They are awesome for the powder. I had issues in the past with sinking in powder, esp w/ pack, and now I float like I am on a snowboard... They are a bit heavier and the skins are the size of carpet runners but they rock. I was a bit worried about the width and getting them through the trees but they were awesome. There is one problem I did find with them, I lost my voice from whooping and got a little frost bite on my gums from smiling...
Cheers,
Greg

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Re: Re:

Postby Ken Gross » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:53 am

Hacksaw wrote:
USAKeller wrote:I agree with comin2getcha about trying on several boots in a local store to see what model/brand you like, and waiting for good deals online

Hope you like the "online fitting and adjustment service......."

Unless you have a real problem foot, a bit of research and trying on many boots will be sufficient to get a good fitting boot. Most BC ski boots today have Thermo-moldable liners which give you a custom fit after baking. The most important thing IMO is getting a good shell fit, and the moldable liner will take care of the rest... most of the time.

I support my local shop by buying things from them occasionaly. But I am not a rich man and cannot afford to pay Retail for a ski boot that I can find online for 50% off retail or more.

If Retailers want to survive the onslaught from Etailers, they must learn to compete and give consumers a compelling reason to buy from them. Perhaps they should consider lowering their margins on things like Boots and Skis, and make it up on service work like Boot fitting
and Ski tuning. Retailers will not survive if they dont change their biz models to deal with new realities. And they cannot retain customers by guilting them into supporting the little guy.

Every year Internet commerce grows by leaps and bounds, this will not change anytime soon. The smart and flexible retailers will survive and grow stronger. The old-school mountaineering shops and their more-core-than-you employees attitudes days are numbered.

Re: Re:

Postby comin2getcha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:51 pm

kentheskier wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:

Hope you like the "online fitting and adjustment service......."

Unless you have a real problem foot, a bit of research and trying on many boots will be sufficient to get a good fitting boot. Most BC ski boots today have Thermo-moldable liners which give you a custom fit after baking. The most important thing IMO is getting a good shell fit, and the moldable liner will take care of the rest... most of the time.

I support my local shop by buying things from them occasionaly. But I am not a rich man and cannot afford to pay Retail for a ski boot that I can find online for 50% off retail or more.

If Retailers want to survive the onslaught from Etailers, they must learn to compete and give consumers a compelling reason to buy from them. Perhaps they should consider lowering their margins on things like Boots and Skis, and make it up on service work like Boot fitting
and Ski tuning. Retailers will not survive if they dont change their biz models to deal with new realities. And they cannot retain customers by guilting them into supporting the little guy.

Every year Internet commerce grows by leaps and bounds, this will not change anytime soon. The smart and flexible retailers will survive and grow stronger. The old-school mountaineering shops and their more-core-than-you employees attitudes days are numbered.

I might clarify my previous post. I have spent a considerable amount of money at the local shops - throughout Colorado on my climbing trips. But knowing that there are always deals on skis, boots and bindings not only online but at the local shops I would never pay full retail for the gear. I don't mind buying last year's (or even the year before that) gear wherever I can get the best deal (Believe me I have pumped a lot of money into the Colorado economy on all my trips this past summer). Unfortunately the local guys didn't have the gear I wanted at a discount. I wholeheartedly agree that we should support the local guys but I also agree that they need to change the way they do business if they want to continue to exist. I took my skis and bindings into the local shop for the mounting. One of the head sales guys recognized me (from months earlier) and inquired where I bought the boots. When I told him the price and location he said he couldn't fault me for it. Larry (at Larry's boot fitting) didn't seem to have a problem taking my money and molding my liners even though I bought the boots elsewhere.

Previous