Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mounting Nordic Ski Bindings

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Mounting Nordic Ski Bindings

Postby Helga » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:51 am

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to find a webpage which give specific instructions on how to mount and adjust Rottefella Nordic NNN ski bindings so that I can learn to do it myself.
Rise and shin :D e!

Re: Mounting Nordic Ski Bindings

Postby Mainer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 pm

You don't absolutely have to have a mounting jig for this but it is so much better if you do.. usually supplied to ski shops by the ski company in question. You might be able to find one on e-bay or used from a shop. The jig assures straight line mounting and balanced positioning.. but it ain't rocket science. Some people do fine with dead reckoning.

jig= metal drilling platform held to the ski by spring loaded clamps with specific drill holes for that binding

Postby Helga » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Mainer, thanks for replying.
I was thinking to do it without a jig. Actually, I have a pair of 2 meter nordic skis with new bindings and the skis are too long so I would like to remove them and mount them on the shorter skis. I am not finding how to remove the bindings from the skis and am asking myself if the heel plate is glued on or is there a hidden spot to flap open and find screws underneath...??? I may just take them in and have it done at a shop 'cause I'm eager to take them out into the snow now....
Thanks again for replying. Happy new year!
helga

Postby Skip Perkins » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:12 pm

caad4rep: That's the info for NNN bindings but won't work for Salomon. Best to let a shop change the bindings.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Postby caad4rep » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Ummm...what am I missing? I thought we were looking for NNN info...

Postby Mainer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:52 am

Helga.. yes, there are usually small covers over the screw holes on the binding. They are designed to be invisible but if you look carefully you will find them. Usually three up front and one further back. Some bindings also have a tacky backing that "seats" it while you are attaching the screws. You can gently pry them off by sliding a sharp blade between the binding and the ski. Also your local ski shop has p-tex plugs that you can seal the old screw holes with. If you don't have them simply fill them with glue to keep water out.

Good luck.

Postby Skip Perkins » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:59 am

caad4rep: Sorry, I read all of the posts pretty carefully with the exception of the "first" one. :oops: I spent quite a few years repairing "customer" mounted bindings and would still recommend the shop handle the procedure.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.