Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

camera: Olympus vs. Canon

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

camera: Olympus vs. Canon

Postby rastro » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:39 pm

I got for Christmas a new Olympus Stylus 790 SW, and I'm thinking of exchanging it for a Canon SD1000. I'd appreciate any information on either of these cameras. I do like the "freezeproof" and "shockproof" features of the Olympus though.
Thanks
Different eyes see different things
Different hearts beat on different strings...
Geddy Lee 1980

Re: camera: Olympus vs. Canon

Postby CRSpeedy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, why were you thinking about exchanging it? I have no personal experience with either, but judging by the reviews on Amazon, they both seem to be great cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-79 ... B000UW8C62

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S ... B000NK8L6W

Personally, the Olympus seem like a great camera for taking on climbs. Waterproof to 10 feet, freeze proof to 14 degrees fahrenheit, and shock proof if you drop it. Then again, it's almost $100 more. I wish I could give you more information, but I'll leave that to those that actually own one of them.

Postby COmedic04 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:59 pm

I have a Canon PowerShot SD750 and love it, it's my 3rd Canon digital camera...don't know much about the freezeproof/shockproof features of Olympus, but my Canon's made it just fine on snowshoe trips in zero/subzero temps (had to warm it up a little, but it seemed ok!) and has been dropped a few times with no noticeable ill effects! Just thought I'd chime in!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:57 pm

I have been using a Stylus 710(older model) for running and stuff where I don't want my SLR and have been happy so far. It's definitely not as sharp as my SLR or some of the larger point and shoot models I've used, but the Stylus is bomb proof. So far its been through rain storms, bounced down a few rocks, and just been beaten up with no issues. It's by far the most shock proof and weather resistant camera I've owned(besides those cheapo underwater things). I'm not familiar with the Canon model, but I guess which ever route you go depends on what features matter most.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby monolith » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:36 am

i purchased the olympus sd790sw about a month ago because i was going to bermuda and wanted to take advantage of the underwater features while snorkeling and shallow water soloing. about a month previous to that my girlfriend and i purchased the canon sd750 to replace an old minolta i've had forever. she wanted a camera to take pics of our baby while i was away and i wanted pics from bermuda!

i personally have been happy w the olympus and its features. the pre settings it comes w are nice-night portraits, behind glass, underwater, fireworks etc. etc. the durability features were also a bonus as i plan on using it in rough conditions but have yet to test it. the menus are kinda busy but once you get the hang of it its not bad. there seems to be alot of features on it that i dont understand yet nor really care to as i use it as a point and shoot. so it seems like a camera you can play around w the settings alot. i didnt like that the memory card was a special xd memory card and i couldnt buy any card i wanted. i'm also trying to figure out the zoom-it doesnt seem to be very powerful but it might be a user error.

the canon on the other hand has a very nice zoom and the large lcd is nice, though its been said that the screens have had a history of problems in the fragility department. the screen changing w the rotation of the camera is cool. i had alot of fun waving my arms while a friend waved the camera on their canon and it still took perfect pics.

in the end i'm not sure if there is one that is better! i like the olympus w the hope that the durability issue will be a saving grace in the future. going for that first swim w a digital and no case was wierd! if it can stand being in the ocean it can stand the rain! i also am no camera expert and just shoot pictures so i hope this helped. if you go to this album the pics were taken w the 790sw.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... Id=1202790

hope any of that helped! good luck w your choice
Alpine climbing is a curious undertaking. Why in the hell would anyone like to get up in the middle of the night and trudge off into the darkness heading for an endless day of stress, exertion, fear, and danger? On your day off! This is supposed to be recreation! I don't understand it myself and it doesn't surprise me that not many climbers practice it. What surprises me is that any climbers do it. Answer: we're stupid.

bill wright