Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Nalgene safety?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Nalgene safety?

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:57 am

Just read an article about stores pulling Nalgene products from the shelves due to safety concerns about them being made out of hard plastic. The chemical BPA, used in making them, can disrupt the human hormonal system. So my question, is are we all gonna die from using Nalgenes?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071223/polycarbonate_worries.html
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Re: Nalgene safety?

Postby RenoBob » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:59 am

MOOSE DROOL wrote:So my question, is are we all gonna die from using Nalgenes?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071223/polycarbonate_worries.html

Of course we are. Haven't you noticed all of the hundreds of dead bodies scattered along the trails? Jeez, one more frickin' thing to stress over. You can't have fun anymore without worrying about some side effect. No more causal sex, can't drink and drive, all of the good things to eat give you cancer, heartburn and bad breath. I'm just gonna throw myself under a bus :lol:
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby drodriguez » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:08 am

Well, I guess that Nalgenes may kill us all, but without them, most of us would probably have died a long time ago.
Runnin' down a dream that never would come to me...

Postby Dr. Worm » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:17 am

There's an interesting book out there on related issues. It's "Our Stolen Future" by Colborn, Dumanoski, and Peterson-Myers. Personally, I still use a Nalgene and there's much worse things that I probably do to my body. I know a few people who have switched to those metal "fuel bottle" water bottles, so that's always an option. Cheers amigos!
The downhill of the spirit is more painful than the uphill of the body - Yuichiro Miura

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:18 am

I have decided that from this day forward, any liquid ( other than beer or vodka ) will only be consumed from a Nalgene. Let's push this theory. If it means that I die on the trail from BPA poisoning, I'm cool with that. Just don't let me die at the office.
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby Eaglevu » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:37 am

I wonder if this is a ploy by another anti-3M plastics firm to shift the market away from polycarbonate (3M's 'Makrolon') to their new durable plastics products. Polycarbonate is used more and more today. I use it at work for safety shields on production equipment.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:59 am

This story has been out for a long long time(not the article, but the issue). I think I've seen it argued on forums since 2003 or so. My personal take is that if you pump enough of anything into a rat/mouse you can cause cancer, disrupt the hormonal balance, etc. I guess if you go through with your experiment to drink everything out of a nalgene maybe we'll find out. Oh, and I remember reading that if you heat the plastic then it becomes more of an issue, so don't microwave them or leave them in the hot car.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:14 am

My wife has become a freak about heating anything in plastic. I agree, you pump enough of anything into something...it'll kill it. I guess the real question is how quickly does this chemical transfer from the plastic to the liquid inside? Would you have to leave your water in the bottle for days for it to absorb any? I'll stick with my experiment and keep you all posted.

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:59 am

Everything kills us.

I even heard a news story recently that suggested that it is dangerous to drive cars because the plastics and such inside of the vehicle get heated in the sun and release deadly chemicals... And those of us who spend the most time in the car each day are certainly going to die.

Postby austinsnow » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:05 pm

it all depends on what number of plastic is used in the manufacturing. unfortunately nalgene uses #7 plastics which are apparently the "worst" for you. i know you become much more vulnerable if you use the nalgene for hot drinks, but regardless its a long process with constant use before any damage is done internally. ive moved on to the swiss made sig bottles..im sure within a couple years though they will discover something "harming" that is in those products as well. oh well, what can you do! we'll eventually probably have to go back to making mugs out of cedar and using vegetable oil to seal or something crazy like that
"It is because they have so much to give and give it so lavishly...that men love the mountains and go back to them again and again."
-Sir Francis Younghusband

Postby Steve Bonowski » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Don't forget that living is hazardous to your health. :D

Seriously, I am still using my Nalgene bottles. I have found that after a few years of use, the water starts to taste a little "off." Happens even if the bottle is regularly cleaned and aired. I use that as a sign to retire the bottle.

Postby thunderinacircle » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:48 pm

Well what a bummer to read this after I just replaced to Nalgene bottles of mine that had become to .... undesirable... for continued use.

At any rate, NPR did a story on how higher and higher levels of certain chemicals are being seen in humans as a result of the way things are made these days. These chemicals are in plastics, but that is not all. They are in our food, as well. You would have to be pretty gung-ho to have even the slightest chance of avoiding these chemicals and it could be for no reason; long-term effects are pretty much an unknown at this point. I think I recall seeing that some of them lead to an increased number of free radicals in your body which can obviously lead to negative consequences.

They way I see it is that if we evolved thumbs we can evolve to withstand these chemicals in our body. :twisted: (Probably too late for us though!!)
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Next