Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Size 14 Mountaineering Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Size 14 Mountaineering Boots

Postby stiz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:20 pm

Any advice on the best mountaineering boots I can get that come in size 14 (US) ?

Something that would be adequate for Denali...

Thanks very much.

Shaun

Re: Size 14 Mountaineering Boots

Postby Bio Nerd » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:46 pm

Hey Shaun:

I can't help you, but I'm curious to see this thread play out... I'm doubly screwed, as I need size 14 AND a wide width...

My mutant proportions also narrow my choices for sleeping bags, packs, backpacking tents, shells, trucks...

Good luck.

Postby wasclywabbit » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:23 pm

I have a pair of La Sportiva Nepal EVO gtx in a size 14 and have been very happy with them. I have had them to 14K feet in winter conditions a few times and have never suffered from cold feet. Additionally they are quite comfortable considering how stiff the sole is. My feet are somewhat narrow (about a C width) but I think they make the boot in wider widths.

I purchased them at The Bent Gate in Golden and was impressed at the time they were willing to spend with me.
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.

Postby firsttracks » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:07 pm

If you really want a boot for Denali, the two that are most regularly recommended are:
1. Millet Everest (Max size: UK 13 (roughly US 13.5) but these tend to fit smaller feet than the usual size = you might be hosed)
2. La Sportiva Olympus Mons (Max size: European 47 -- roughly US 13)

You might have to look for any brand that makes a decent mountaineering boot big enough, and then look for an overboot to stay warm enough. Sorry -- probably not much help here.

-Ryan

Postby Athos791 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:01 pm

if you find any boots that you like, please let me know what brand/model they are, as I too am looking for a size 13.5 or 14 boot. Good luck in your search :)
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby Jcwhite » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:30 pm

Sounds like plastics are going out of style, but I have a pair of Koflach degres that are alright. (size 14)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby wojo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:24 pm

I have a pair of La Sportiva Nepal EVOs as well. I little narrow fit (heel) for those with wide feet. With European
sizes. I went a .5 bigger and have no problems. Very warm with good moisture management design and removable toung liner
One of the better boots short of going to plastics. Hope this helps!