Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thermometer suggestion

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Thermometer suggestion

Postby lodidodi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:01 pm

I have a suunto vector and the temp is also off due to body heat.

Postby Scott P » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:31 pm

For what it's worth, I think an inexpensive zipper attached thermometer might be your best bet.

It seems most only go down to -20 or so. If you do lots of winter camping, it's probably eventually going to get colder than that. Also, those thermomters are hard to read to the nearest degree. I still use mine all the time and have it attached to my pack, but they aren't the best if you are really concerned with accuracy. They do give you a rough idea though.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby thunderinacircle » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:00 pm

I don't want to come off sounding rude here, so enlighten me if I need it. However, if you are just camping and not professionally observing temperature, why does it matter if your thermometer is off a degree or two? Maybe I'm not normal or something, but -20 feels pretty similar to -18 to me. To the tenth of a degree seems beyond overkill.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby Scott P » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:27 pm

why does it matter if your thermometer is off a degree or two?

If it's something you keep track of, just like elevation of a mountain.

Let's say I have climbed Cotopaxi, Kilimanjaro, and El Misti. All are between 19,101-19,347 feet high. If I wanted to know which was the highest peak I've climbed, I would look at all the elevations and find out which one. If a few feet doesn't matter, couldn't I climb Mount Massive or Mount Harvard and claim I've climbed the highest peak in Colorado? What does a few feet matter?

You are right, it doesn't matter unless you are keeping track of it. Since I know the coldest I've camped in for each month (see below), it's nice to round off to the nearest degree (I agree that 0.1 would be overkill-that's just what digi's read), rather than nearest five degrees or so.

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object ... ckies.html

If you aren't keeping track of it, then it really doesn't matter. The original post asked for an "accurate reading down to about minus 15", so I assume that could within a degree and he or she is interested in perhaps tracking it. As far as zipper gages go, some aren't very accurate at all.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Previous