Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thermometer suggestion

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Thermometer suggestion

Postby ilikeale » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:42 pm

I'm looking for a last minute gift. Can anyone recommend a thermometer for winter camping with an accurate reading down to about minus 15?
Thanks.

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Re: Thermometer suggestion

Postby mtnbikir » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Last minute? Man, I have not even started!

Postby Cruiser » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:16 pm

Try a multi function watch like the sunto observer, timex helix, or nike acg ascent. I'm not sure how low they each measure, but they all go well into the negatives.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby icenrock » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:16 pm

i agree with the multifunction watch. REi has several really nice models. Also Krestel has a really nice device that mot only give temp, but offers a wind chill conversion, wind/water speed and water temp!
"hummmm... is that ice screw suppossed to do that....

Postby Papillon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I've got a Kestrel 2000 that supposedly goes as low as 5 F. I took a quick look at the Suuntos and they appear to go as low as -5 F. You might have a hard time going lower. I'd be curious to hear from Suunto owners regarding temperature. They must have a pretty good sensor if it is able to ignore the heat emanating from one's wrist.
Last edited by Papillon on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Scott P » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Can anyone recommend a thermometer for winter camping with an accurate reading down to about minus 15?

I use an Accurite hi/lo accurate to 0.1 degrees. I would highly recommend them.

As far as getting camping/overnight temperatures, it doesn't seem a watch would be the best choice unless you are willing to leave it outside at night, but that's just my opinion.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Hunter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 am

Casio Pathfinder
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby gsliva » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:58 am

I use an infrared thermometer with a continuous readout. They work great. I have a kestrel as well but it's kind of overkill.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-non-contac ... 03171.html
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby firsttracks » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:08 am

I use a small thermometer on a key ring that I attach to my pack's zipper. Small, lightweight, and dirt cheap! It would be a great stocking stuffer for $5. It'll always be handy.

Here's a similar one:
REI

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 am

For what it's worth, I think an inexpensive zipper attached thermometer might be your best bet. The Kestrel is a great unit, but it only goes down to -5. Likewise, the Casio pathfinder is fantastic (beats the heck out of Suunto), but it goes down to only -10. Plus, like any watch, it won't register anything but the temp on the back of your wrist if you're wearing it.
As long as you keep moving they can't bury you.

Postby mrburns » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:17 am

I'd be curious to hear from Suunto owners regarding temperature. They must have a pretty good sensor if it is able to ignore the heat emanating from one's wrist.

I have a Suunto X6 and the thermometer works great, but it does not ignore the temp of your wrist. I find that it is usually ~12 degrees warmer than it should be. If you want an accurate measurement, you have to take it off. I usually hang it from my pack strap if I am trying to keep track of the temp.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:55 am

All the outdoor stores have those little thermometers that hang from your zipper, as well as compasses that are similar. I've always got those for my plan C. Find 'em in the checkout lanes with the croakies and lip balm. Unless you wear your watch/thermometer on the outside of your parka on a sports wrist band its going to pick up your body heat.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Next