Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need AT Gear Advice

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Postby BTL » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:49 am

1. Spend some time looking through these sites

http://www.wildsnow.com
http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/

2. Go to some local shops and start asking questions

3. Keep the radar tuned for good deals - they're everywhere, especially a little later in the season or off season. Don't be afraid to buy a previous year model of boot or binding.

I got a pair of Atomic Kongurs for $150 at GearX in September, skied them last week and loved 'em. Tough to beat prices like that.

Postby Jcwhite » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:16 am

Bean wrote:
Jcwhite wrote:
USAKeller wrote:
Bean wrote:And Freerides suck.

Why do you say that?

He's just a bitter pinhead (telemarker)

I'm on the freeride plus's, great binding overall, but i did break the heel latch at crested butte yesterday.
I'm a bitter pinhead (making the transition to the dark side ASAP actually) but that's not why I don't like them. It's more of an intangible feeling of distrust for them. I'm looking for a pair of Naxos at the moment for my powder skis. If I were forced to go with a Fritschi, it would have to be the FR+.

Why are you making the change? Tired of breakable crust sending you on your face? :lol:

FR+ are great, naxo nx21 are good to0...heavier, but good. It really seems to come down to what you prefer. If you want a bomber binding get the marker dukes, but there are other problems with those such as having to click out of your bindings to switch from touring to skiing modes.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:33 am

Jcwhite wrote:
USAKeller wrote:
Bean wrote:And Freerides suck.

Why do you say that?

He's just a bitter pinhead (telemarker)

I love my Freerides and I'm an ex-pinhead.

Which reminds me of this funny video...

http://www.chrisgerber.com/misc/atanon786.wmv

Re: Need AT Gear Advice

Postby PKR » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:15 am

iceman wrote:I skied for the first time last weekend and I am hooked. I would like to purchase some AT gear. I am thinking about the Fritsche Explore or Freeride bindings.... $ is an issue but I would like some quality gear.

In the spring of 2004 I got my first AT ski set up at the Gear Exchange there in Glenwood (Atomic skis with 2003 Diamir Freerides) for $230.00.Though I wasn’t to excited about the skis them selves the set up was virtually unused and the bindings alone made the purchase well worth my while. I have since spent more than 80 days in the backcountry on this set up; they have suffered the brunt of my learning curb with out fail. I (like Jordan) however did break a heal latch while skiing bumps at Mary Jane.
I have continued to shop at the Gear Exchange and found there deals on used gear to often be quite good and when I have had any problems with a purchase they have handled things completely professionally. I could not say enough good things about the Gear Exchange of my Freerides.
Enjoy your new adventure,
Ken
:wink:

Re:

Postby cushman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:06 pm

Chris Gerber wrote:Which reminds me of this funny video...

http://www.chrisgerber.com/misc/atanon786.wmv

Chris, that video is hilarious.

...and I even bought a carabiner, because I thought it would look cool...
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby joe4186 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 am

i dont' know about the dukes, i would wait another year before buying the duke. This is the first year of production and i would wait for them to work out the kinks.
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby skier25 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm

I have tried the Dukes already. The only problems I had with them was that they are a little heavier than the Freeride Plus, and that you cannot switch from walk mode to ski mode without taking your skis off first. Besides that, they are totally bombproof and there is no discernable play that I could detect. I'd be confident on anything with those bindings.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby El Oso Raku » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:37 pm

Chris, that video is brilliant!

Did you have anything to do with its production?

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:52 pm

El Oso Raku wrote:Chris, that video is brilliant!

Did you have anything to do with its production?

No... nothing to do with it's production at all, unfortunately... I just sympathize with the guy after trying to learn tele for two years (and breaking one ankle and herniating too cervical discs).

I just had a local copy on my computer, so posted it to my webserver (couldn't find it out there on the net anymore).

Postby joe4186 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:59 pm

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105923

seems like some people are having issues w/ the dukes
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Jeesh!

Why all the hate with the anti pinhead video? :D

I did find the carry the extra ice axe to hit snowboarders rather funny though!

Remember, "half the binding, twice the skill" :lol:
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby cushman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Q: How many tele skiers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Five. One to screw it in and four to rave about how great the turn was.
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

PreviousNext