Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camera Suggestions?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Camera Suggestions?

Postby Mooney Pilot » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:05 am

I'm thinking about putting a new camera on my Christmas list. For my trip reports I have been borrowing my wife's Kodak point and shoot, which has actually worked pretty well. But I would like to have my own camera. Here's what I would like:

1. Digital.

2. Compact enough to put in my jacket pocket.

3. Some zoom lens capability.

4. Economical ($200-$300 range).

Any suggestions?

Re: Camera Suggestions?

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:09 am

I have always liked the NIkon Coolpix line myself.. Makes amateurs like myself seem liek we can shoot! :D
You could probably get a 8 megapixel Coolpix in the pricerange you're in.. A few of my friends have the Canon (dont know the model name) but they love theirs as well.

The only beef I have about the small pocket size digitals is that many of them have a delay when shooting.. :x
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby fleetmack » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 am

i would say avoid a canon. i have an sd600, the lcd went out about a month after i got for no reason (it was sitting on my desk, no abuse) and they charged me $90 to fix it even though it was under warranty. They said it was due to "abuse" although it was literally sitting on my desk when it broke. Horrible customer service on an unreliable product.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby catfish hank » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:34 am

Canon LCDs have been a huge problemn the past. Bummer thought they would have fixed that by now. I shoot with my Elph even though the LCD is cracked. Just take extra pics cause I dont see what I'm getting right away. Takes great pictures when it stays on. This camara hates the cold and will shut itself off in temps below 20. Missed some great alpen glow shots of South Park this weekend.
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
and you got the stock market beat.
And the man worth while is the man who can smile
when his shorts are tight in the seat... Smails.

Postby dj14 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:43 pm

fleetmack wrote:i would say avoid a canon. i have an sd600, the lcd went out about a month after i got for no reason (it was sitting on my desk, no abuse) and they charged me $90 to fix it even though it was under warranty. They said it was due to "abuse" although it was literally sitting on my desk when it broke. Horrible customer service on an unreliable product.

Sorry you had a bad experience Fleet. MooneyPilot, I am a freelance photographer and all of my pro gear is Canon. I've never had any problems. That said, my pocket camera is a Panasonic. I'm very happy with it as well. Honestly, the only really bad experience I've ever had with a camera was with a Nikon Coolpix (can't recall the model). It had all kinds of issues and I returned it. I know, though, that Nikon makes good cameras...I just caught a bad one I guess.

Look, I'll tell you right now that I hate shopping for photography gear. You can drive yourself crazy with comparisons! Check out this site for a lot of good data, reviews and price info (http://www.dpreview.com/). It's one of the best sites out there for finding the right camera. One thing you should look for is a good wide angle option. So many of the pocket digitals will not allow you to shoot any wider than 35mm. If you look for them you can find models that will allow you to shoot at 28mm. This can make a big difference not only in scenic landscapes but group/family shots around camp as well!

Good luck!
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with dust and sweat and blood. At best, he knows the triumph of high achievement; if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt.

Postby glad2Bme » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:38 pm

Lately I've been carrying a Kodak 7590. A little big for most pockets but has a great zoom as well as decent video. I really like the shape - it works well with one hand. I picked it up on eBay for around $125 I think.
Alpinists are just optimists with lousy short term memory

Postby mtgirl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Hey Mooney Pilot. I have the Canon SD800 and it would meet all your requirements. Very compact, easy to use, great clarity, big LCD screen, and it still has a viewfinder. Many of the new digitals don't have a viewfinder. And most LCD screens are hard to see when in bright light conditions - that viewfinder comes in handy for sunny, summit photos !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HA ... 93-2393426

I previously had a Nikon Coolpix, and I'm much more satisfied with the Canon. Very, very easy to use and downloading pics is a snap.

Good luck and I hope Santa brings you what you want !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby jimlup » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:56 pm

I have the Canon 850-IS, I'm pretty happy with it. I bought it this summer after fairly careful shoping around. My only regret is that they now added the 870-IS which is a little nicer for the same price that I paid for the 850 this summer.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby Alan Ellis » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Have you looked at the Sony Cybershot H series? It is a point and shoot with all the features of a DSLR except lens exchange. The best part of the camera is a 15x optical zoom. Most of your small digital point-and-shoot cameras only have a 3x optical. If you are taking photos of the mountains or the outdoors, the higher the zoom, the better.

I have an H-1 which they don't make any longer. Now, they have the H-9 which is a much improved version of the H-1. Check out the link.

Sony Cybershot H-9
Sack up and climb.

Postby JB Allen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:20 pm

I like the Nikon coolpics 8400. Simple to use, zoom lens, compack, it sees color the way I see it, lots of features, remote control and it should be in your price range used.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon8400.html
JB Allen...

Postby CRSpeedy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:35 pm

mtgirl wrote:Hey Mooney Pilot. I have the Canon SD800 and it would meet all your requirements. Very compact, easy to use, great clarity, big LCD screen, and it still has a viewfinder. Many of the new digitals don't have a viewfinder. And most LCD screens are hard to see when in bright light conditions - that viewfinder comes in handy for sunny, summit photos !

I would definitely keep mtgirl's advice in mind regarding the viewfinder. It is extremely disappointing that almost EVERY compact camera on the shelf does not have a viewfinder. I own a Nikon D40 and was recently looking for a compact camera myself, and ended up settling with a cheap, old model from Canon for the sole reason that it has a viewfinder.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:36 pm

mtgirl wrote:Hey Mooney Pilot. I have the Canon SD800 and it would meet all your requirements. Very compact, easy to use, great clarity, big LCD screen, and it still has a viewfinder. Many of the new digitals don't have a viewfinder. And most LCD screens are hard to see when in bright light conditions - that viewfinder comes in handy for sunny, summit photos !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HA ... 93-2393426

I previously had a Nikon Coolpix, and I'm much more satisfied with the Canon. Very, very easy to use and downloading pics is a snap.

Good luck and I hope Santa brings you what you want !

I agree w/ mtgirl on all accounts. The SD800 also has a 28mm wide angle too, which gives you a wider wide than most point and shoots... comes in very handy for larger panoramic shots in the mountains.