Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need AT Gear Advice

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Need AT Gear Advice

Postby iceman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:01 pm

I skied for the first time last weekend and I am hooked. I would like to purchase some AT gear. I am thinking about the Fritsche Explore or Freeride bindings. I am not sure about boots. Can I get some advice on boots, bindings and skis? This year I will probably spend most of my time at the local Glenwood ski areas like Sunlight, Buttermilk. Next year I would like to get out and do some back country stuff if I am ready. Thanks for any advice. $ is an issue but I would like some quality gear.

Postby skier25 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:24 pm

It seems like you're jumping the gun a bit. If your first time skiing was last weekend, get good enough so you can ski anything within the resort boundaries (or can you?). Wait to buy AT gear until you are truly ready for the backcountry. Take Avalanche courses, know how to use avalanche beacons, learn good route finding skills, and go with people who are very experienced. We must learn to walk before we can run.

The Fritsche Freeride Plus is probably the best AT binding for the backcountry. Dynafits are really good too (less weight, but you're locked down with pins. :? Your call).
Last edited by skier25 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Bean » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 pm

First off, stick to the resort for AT LEAST this entire season. Get a few dozen days under your belt before you even think about going backcountry.

And Freerides suck.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby USAKeller » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Bean wrote:And Freerides suck.

Why do you say that?
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby ThinAir » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Check out wildsnow.com, Dawson's site. Gear comparison btwn the Fritschi freeride plus and the Naxo NX21. Neither of them suck.
The map aint the territory

Postby joe4186 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:13 pm

I have the Freerides and love them. I have rode them on some pretty aggressive terrain in bounds and in the backcountry, haven't had a problem w/ them. I've skinned as far as 4-5 miles at once on them. No real long touring on them yet, that will come...

I've had several friends that have had problems w/ the Naxo's and personally wouldn't trust them.

Also, backcountry snow and terrain is totally different from inbounds at a resort. Get comfortable on bad snow.
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby iceman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 pm

It seems like you're jumping the gun a bit. If your first time skiing was last weekend, get good enough so you can ski anything within the resort boundaries (or can you?). Wait to buy AT gear until you are truly ready for the backcountry. Take Avalanche courses, know how to use avalanche beacons, learn good route finding skills, and go with people who are very experienced. We must learn to walk before we can run.

I have Avy 1 and have trained quite a bit with avy searches and beacons with Search & Rescue, my route finding skills are good. The folks I will be going with have been skiing backcountry for 20+ years. I think I can walk; I just need to learn to run and get some good gear. :D
Freerides it is. What are the most important features you look for in a boot?

Postby Jcwhite » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:09 pm

USAKeller wrote:

Why do you say that?

He's just a bitter pinhead (telemarker)

I'm on the freeride plus's, great binding overall, but i did break the heel latch at crested butte yesterday.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby USAKeller » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:32 pm

Jcwhite wrote:
USAKeller wrote:

Why do you say that?

Clearly it's a subjective statement. With the little experience I have with different bindings, I also really like using the Freeride Plus's. Finding them on a smokin' deal make them even more appealing to try, right Jordan?! :wink:
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby skier25 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Seems like you're going to have a good time!
iceman wrote:What are the most important features you look for in a boot?

Comfort first, and then the boot's ability to drive and control the ski.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Jcwhite » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 pm

USAKeller wrote:
Jcwhite wrote:
USAKeller wrote:

Why do you say that?

Clearly it's a subjective statement. With the little experience I have with different bindings, I also really like using the Freeride Plus's. Finding them on a smokin' deal make them even more appealing to try, right Jordan?! :wink:

yep i picked em up for 255 as well
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby Bean » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:34 am

Jcwhite wrote:
USAKeller wrote:

Why do you say that?

I'm on the freeride plus's, great binding overall, but i did break the heel latch at crested butte yesterday.
I'm a bitter pinhead (making the transition to the dark side ASAP actually) but that's not why I don't like them. It's more of an intangible feeling of distrust for them. I'm looking for a pair of Naxos at the moment for my powder skis. If I were forced to go with a Fritschi, it would have to be the FR+.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next