Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GoLite Odyssey Expedition Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

GoLite Odyssey Expedition Pack

Postby conor60 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Does anyone own this pack? Wondering how they like it. I am also looking into the The North Face Crestone 75. I want something that I can use overnight and extended trips. I try to pack very light on any length of trips. Thanks!
You have two ears and one mouth, so you should listen twice as much as you speak...

Postby USAKeller » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Unfortunately I can't help you out with the Odyssey pack, but if you decide to go with the North Face Crestone 75 pack and are looking for a better deal than retail, let me know because I've got that pack and I'm looking to sell it. It's been used twice.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Eaglevu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:42 pm

I just bought an Odyssey at Golite's semi-annual clearance sale ($150.00), in Boulder, earlier this month. I haven't tried it out yet. But, it is nice.
Weighs 3.5 Lbs. and ample convertable space. It has a deep H2O bladder pocket on the inside. My only concern is the hip belt. The padding only comes around halfway.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby sdkeil » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:00 pm

I too just got this pack at the Go-lite sale. I would agree with Eaglevu, its seem nice and I think it has somce good features. I too have yet to use this pack. My guess is it won't have the suspension of the NF pack and the padding in the should and hip pads might be a bit thinner (it is how Go-lite keeps the weight down). I read a couple of reviews online and most people seem fairly happy with the odyssey, however most seem to say it is not comfortable over 45lbs.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.

Odyssey

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Own it, love it. Have carried up to 52 pounds in it to high camp and then compressed it down and used it as my summit pack. Have also used it on 12 backpack trips this year. It's huge, extremely light, and comfortable. Be sure to size it correctly (there are tabs for this under the velcro on the inside) for the most comfortable fit. Favorite features of this pack: side pockets on the hip belt. I carry a FUD on one side, and lip balm, sunscreen and snacks on the other. Also like the extra-large side pockets - I've squeezed tent poles, a trekking pole, a probe, wands, AND my crampons into these, all at the same time. This is the most comfortable and versatile pack I own - but that doesn't guarantee everyone will have the same experience. I think packs - like jeans - have their own "cut" and what feels good on one person may not on another. If you can, ask them to fit it for you, fill it up with some weight, and let you wear it around the store for awhile. There's nothing worse than a poorly-fitting pack.