Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gore-tex shell pants

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Gore-tex shell pants

Postby gc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm looking for any advice from experience on specific models of gore-tex shell pants that are currently available. I'm looking for either pants or a bib for winter climbing. Don't need anything super warm as layers underneath take care of that. I'd like something that is not stiff so I can move easily in it. A bit on the lighter side would be preferable. I don't need anything ridiculously durable but can withstand some abuse.

Thanks!

Postby JimR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm

They're not Goretex, and I haven't abused them much, but I've been pretty happy with my REI Elements pants, both for summer rain gear and for an outer shell in (fairly mild) winter. They're light & flexible, & could be worth a look.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby Neil » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:27 am

I have been 100% impressed (and dry!) with my Arc'Teryx Alpha LT pant. A bit pricier, but when I do spend more it tends to be on Gore-Tex/waterproof garments. I have put these pants through hell and back during CO winter and summer and they held up very well. A few points to consider:

These are VERY lite for what you're getting...just over 16 oz.

The Alpha is a pant, not a bib. It does come with suspenders to keep them from slipping down below your snow skirt/end of your Gore coat. The suspenders rock!

It comes with full side zips, which I love for convenience and comfort.

Comes with Keprotec instep patches so you wont rip the pant if (when) you clip them with your crampon.

The feel strong and durable

Best part -- NEVER been wet in them. All around a great pant and, for me at least, well worth the money.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC0514/Arcteryx-Alpha-LT-Pant-Mens.html?CMP_ID=PM_VL0151&mv_pc=r175
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby USAKeller » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:32 am

You might want to look into Mountain Hardwear's Beryllium Bib: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product ... wAll=False

or their GTX 2.5 Pant: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product ... wAll=False

While I would love a pair of either of those, I ended up getting MH's Defiant Pant with detachable suspenders because I wasn't looking to spend as much money as the above pants. My guess would be that (like the Defiant) both pants are not so stiff so you can move in them, and both are Gore-Tex. They're also under 2 lbs. From what I can see in the photos, both pants also have fairly high scuff guards to prevent tear if you accidentally hit the insides with crampons.
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby gander4 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:14 am

I love my Cloudveil RPK pants. They are light as far as a winter pant goes and really keep out the snow and rain.

GORTEX Pants

Postby 14erguy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:26 pm

I use a pair of Air Force Military issue shell pants in all my mountaineering/ice climbing and they are EXTREMELY flexible, waterproof and durable. The best I've ever used actually. I can get you a pair for cheap if you're interested.