Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for an AT boot

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Looking for an AT boot

Postby mtngoat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:17 am

Does anyone know a good place near in NW Denver Area for AT boots? I am beginning my search and would like to try a few on to narrow down my list.

Or if anyone has a pair in size 8.5 Mens they would like to get rid of, let me know and I may be interested.

Thanks!

Skiing on K2 Mt. Bakers, Naxo NX21 bindings. Moderate to challenging terrain.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby ScottN » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 am

Wilderness Exchange right across from the Flagship REI.

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:30 am

Hard to find AT boots on sale this time of year. Bent Gate in Golden has a decent selection, though may be a bit out of your way. I've gotten other AT stuff there, and most of their people are very knowledgeable. If you can/want to wait Bent Gate usually clearances off old models and demo gear in the spring. I believe they also rent.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby gb » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:34 am

Larry's in Boulder

Postby sherpasmith » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:42 am

I have found the folks at Neptune in Boulder to be very good boot fitters. They just had their late model close-out sale a few weeks ago, so I don't know if you could still find deals on last year's models. If I'm not mistaken, they are carrying the 07/08 models now, and they're rather proud of them.

Postby Ken Gross » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:52 am

One strategy that I employ when it comes to buying ski boots is this: I go to a store that carries a lot of boots, and I try as many on as I can. I do this to see what I want, and what fits. Then once I know what I want, I scour the internet for bargains. I have seen some good deals on AT boots on Ebay lately.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby mtngoat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 am

kentheskier wrote:One strategy that I employ when it comes to buying ski boots is this: I go to a store that carries a lot of boots, and I try as many on as I can. I do this to see what I want, and what fits. Then once I know what I want, I scour the internet for bargains. I have seen some good deals on AT boots on Ebay lately.

That is what I am trying do, where is a good "store that carries a lot of [AT] boots"?

Thanks for the current suggestions. I may try Neptune or Wilderness Exchange since I work in Uptown. Keep them coming if you have the "gem" store. BTW - Where is Larry's in Boulder?
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Ken Gross » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:16 am

Another one that comes to mind is the REI flgship store, when I was there for Dav's movie I checked out their selection, they had a lot of Boots.

Once you start trying boots, I think there is 2 things you need to figure out.

First you need to find the Brand that fits the shape of your foot the best. For example I have a Scarpa foot (higher volume) and I have never been able to get a good fit in a Garmont Boot (low volume).

The other important aspect is finding the right shell size. To do this, take the liner out of the boot and put your bare foot into the shell. Push your foot towards the front of the boot so that your toes are just touching the inside of the shell. Now look at how much room you have between your heel and the back of the boot. Ideally you want 1 to 1.5 fingers width between heel and shell.

The other thing to be aware of is where a certain boot brand's shells change size. For example Scarpa boots break on the half size. So a 28.5 boot and a 29 boot are the same, 27.5 and 28 are the same and so on.

Once you know what Brand fits best and what shell size you need, then it is easy to scan ebay or CLs and find a bargain. Good Luck!
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby gb » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 am

mtngoat wrote:
kentheskier wrote:One strategy that I employ when it comes to buying ski boots is this: I go to a store that carries a lot of boots, and I try as many on as I can. I do this to see what I want, and what fits. Then once I know what I want, I scour the internet for bargains. I have seen some good deals on AT boots on Ebay lately.

That is what I am trying do, where is a good "store that carries a lot of [AT] boots"?

BTW- Where is Larry's in Boulder?

2709 Spruce. Quite a few AT boots at Boulder Ski Deals, nearby.

Regarding trying on boots at a store and then finding the deal online-- We've all done it, but IMO it's kind of lame. If a store takes all kinds of time trying to find the right boot for you, they deserve your business. When I feel like I have to do this, I at least try to go to a faceless store like REI, rather than a small shop like Larry's. Not trying to be a hypocrite, just saying think about it...

Postby Cruiser » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:54 am

Colorado Ski and Golf in Aurora carries a few different models too. You may have to go to a couple of different stores to find some examples of all the different models and brands. I'd try Ski and Golf, Wilderness Exchange, Rei, and Neptune's. Hopefully you'll get to try on a good number of different options between those different locations. One other option is to run up to Cheyenne and try some of the discounted boots on at Sierra Trading Post.
Where ever you are... There you are.