Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiboards

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Postby GravityPilot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:06 am

You can say they are great all you want, but they are bloody dangerous. We cart people off the hill all the time on them and they are in-bounds. A good training tool? Give me a break. The myth of the "short" ski is dying fast. People are only trying to compensate for lack of skill and patiences. If you can't learn balance and carving on a run of the mill carving ski much less a factory spec race ski then you're not going to be a great racer. Plain and simple.
You want something to approach on? Get a pair of lightweight skis with a binding that will fit ANY boot with a toe and heel welt. They are made folks. Bigger? Of course. More money? Sure. Safer? Absolutely. More efficient? Hands down.
How cheap and convenient is too cheap and convenient? If ski boards were so great in the first place more people would be using them. Most of the bindings are not releasable. I'll pack and pay to bring my AT gear any day over ski boards. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for failure. Why work hard when you can work smart?

Postby pvnisher » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:52 pm

"Not to knock the posters that use them (really, no offense meant), but look at where they're using them....both Virignia skiers using them on hills, not a mountain in the backcountry. "

Well, I don't use them (anymore!) and I lived in CO for 23 years until 4 weeks ago, and all my snowblading was in CO, including some epic powder days in the Outback. Anyway, my points stand. They won't work well in deep powder. Some days I was skiing in knee-deep powder (basically sank down to a harder layer!) when my friends were floating on top. But on most anything else, yes, you will do fine. Are they great? No! Are they much smaller and lighter and easier to take with you to CHINA?!?! Heck yeah! If it's a skiing vacation, don't get these. If it's a vacation during which you want to climb and have an interesting adventure, then go for it.

After going to the Karhu site and looking at them, they look pretty interesting, not sure how the bindings will work if you don't have a stiff boot, though... Let us know how they work if you get them.

Postby gb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Bean wrote:Snowlerblades are worthless and suck.

The thread should have started and ended here.

Previous