Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

All mountain skis??

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

All mountain skis??

Postby ccunnin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:26 pm

All mountain skis?
K2 Apache Recons or
Volkl AC3?
Similar prices for last years models.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Re: All mountain skis??

Postby jrsummit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 pm

ccunnin wrote:All mountain skis?
K2 Apache Recons or
Volkl AC3?

I base this just on seeing them but never riding them, but in my unprofessional opinion I would choose the K2s for. They had a pretty good writeup on reviews last year. Although many people seem to dislike them for powder.

Postby Lane Meyer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:03 pm

I LOVE my Recons. They're an awesome all-mountain ski, IMO

Haven't tried the AC3 though, so I really can't say how they compare. However, the Recon is wider under foot, so it will float a little better come powder time. Never had any complaints about mine on a powder day. I think that comes down to the skier, though.
This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:16 am

Although I mostly tele now on k2 Work Stinx, which I love, my alpine Volkls have always been a top notch ski.. I have a pair of Volkl 724s for a few years and they are probably the best ski It have ever skied. I completely rips. I can only imagine what the latest Volkl all mountain ski is like.. Probably amazing.. You probably cant go wrong with either setup.
Last edited by Rockymtnhigh69 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby skier25 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:27 am

I have the Volkl AC3 's. They are super stable at high speed, incredible edge hold on steep hard snow, and they are fast and manueverable. They rip the bumps too. However, in deep powder they are a little bit squirrely. I think the Volkl AC4 's might be a superior ski in terms of powder and crud. I bought the AC3 's because I already have powder/crud skis and I needed fast, steep skis with exceptional edges.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Kiefer

Re: All mountain skis??

Postby Kiefer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:31 am

ccunnin wrote:All mountain skis?
K2 Apache Recons or
Volkl AC3?

I'd go with the Recons. I demoed the 2004 and 2005 models when I was up in Avon working in the ski shop at Garts. They handled mild bumps and groomers exceedingly well, very solid. Almost no chatter- albeit a little on hardpack. They seemed OK on pow but the're too narrow anyway for consistent pow use. I loved them.
Can't say much for Volkl. I've never cared for the brand. I use a pair of Atomics for all-mountain.