Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Gear Shout Out

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Postby peaks2paddles » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:02 pm

I run Scarpa Denali TT boots and love them! Use Fritschi Freerides on a pair of BD Kilowatts. Havent had any problems when using them inbounds but I do tend to stay away from the moguls...
"Not all who wander are lost..."

Postby iowa_born » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:06 pm

One thing I wanted in an AT ski was that it be light weight, so I ended up with some Race Randonee boards. Probably the most ill made decision of my life. Sure I can carry them up anything on my back, but if I skin it better be on consolidated stuff or I am not going any where. I just wish I had done a better job researching and ensuring I got a ski with at least 80mm underfoot.
The more I climb the more gear I need, the more gear I have the more I need to climb...its a vicious cycle.

Postby GravityPilot » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 pm

I've had some Denali XTs for about 5 years now. I love them for touring and climbing, and for a long time they were the only boot I had. Meaning I've skied my Freerides both inbounds and out for a long time. I've skied them on an assortment of skis and they've been great. Inbounds the boots are softer and the bindings raised up, but I found it to be nothing I couldn't get used to. It will make you a better skier if you are out all the time charging around. Now I also have a pair of Scarpa Tornados that I absolutely love. I don't really tour in them, but I will take them out the the occasional jaunt. I love working in them mid season because they are stiff, light, warm, and have a walk mode. They work in both AT and alpine bindings safely. The Denali's and other rockered sole AT boots will work in alpine bindings but the sole screws up the release and you have a chance of early or late release depending on circumstances. Which can equal injury. That and shops almost always will NOT mount up alpine bindings to an AT boot unless it has a DIN plate because of said liability.
The Tornado is no alpine boot, but it is more than enough for me to drive my 193 big mountain skis. With that being said there are some other boots out there that are super stiff for AT. The Garmont Endorphin, Scarpa Hurricane, The Garmont Adrenaline, and the Garmont Shaman. The Adrenaline is a great middle of the road boot like the Denali (a little on the lighter side), and the Tornado. Wilderness Sports in Dillon demos a lot of those as I'm sure Neptune's does as well. Try before you buy and you can't lose.

Postby El Oso Raku » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:35 pm

Of the boots I've tried, I'm leaning towards the Garmont Adrenaline. Anyone have those

I have fritschi freerides and Adrenaline boots. Love both. The boots are brilliant for skiing, touring and hiking.

However, when skiing inbounds I generally only tele for several reasons. First, I just like telemarking better. Second, as some have said, when riding in bounds on groomed terrain there is certainly a different feel wearing AT boots as compared to an alpine setup. The difference is not as noticeable in powder though. I have also worn my alpine boots with my freerides and felt like i was on a total alpine setup.

Postby indianhillsted » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm

That brings up a good point...who demos AT?

I'm planning on hitting AT/Tele Demo day at Copper, but wasn't sure about what shops offerred demos.

I've been trying boots on at the Bent Gate and have not talked demos yet...for some reason I think they don't, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the feedback...it's exactly the stuff I needed...except SNOW!

T

Postby indianhillsted » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:42 pm

El Oso Raku wrote:First, I just like telemarking better.

I don't mean to be a smart ass...if you like to tele more than alpine and (assumingly) have good skills, why do you have AT gear?

I've been wanting to get good at telemarking for years and realize that unless I spend a lot more time doing it, I will never be proficient at it...thus my reasoning for AT.

Postby El Oso Raku » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:47 pm

I don't mean to be a smart ass...if you like to tele more than alpine and (assumingly) have good skills, why do you have AT gear?

No problem. I just feel a bit safer on big mountain lines strapped down. Additionally, the touring is easier and more efficent in my opinion with an AT setup. Although, I guess some of that has changed with new tele bindings that allow a more standard touring-type option.

Postby thebeave7 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 pm

I've got two rigs now. My primary is a set of Atomic Tacora skis with Diamir Freerides, secondary set is some Volkl 727 with Diamir Titanals, both using Scarpa Matrix boots. Diamir bindings are beefy and ski really nice, feel like a lifted alpine binding, so real easy to transition to. The Tacoras are a soft ski, so skin nicely and handle powder well. They are a bit chattery on hard pack and crusty stuff, but I make do. If I were doing it over I'd get a slightly wider back country ski, something in the 120-130mm range. The Volkls were a end of the season purchase to be used as rock skis, they are light, thin, and cheap :D so I plan on beating the hell out of them until snow falls in Dec/Jan.

I've been satisfied with the Matrix boots, though there may be better out there. They ski quite nicely, even while ripping hard turns on piste. Good control, walk feature works ok, but they are still a ski boot. Class 3/4 is kind of tricky in them, especially if there are big rock steps. I've climbed Longs, Shasta, and Torreys purely in my AT boots. Besides some shin bruises from 3000ft of front pointing on Shasta they've worked just fine.

Eric

PS Skiing/skinning is the way to go, my snowshoes now sit in the closet 90% of the time.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby El Oso Raku » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Diamir bindings are beefy and ski really nice, feel like a lifted alpine binding, so real easy to transition to

That has been my experience too. I have heard the same thing about the naxos as well

PS Skiing/skinning is the way to go, my snowshoes now sit in the closet 90% of the time.

Definitely with you on that one.

Postby Gahugafuga » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 pm

indianhillsted wrote:
I've been trying boots on at the Bent Gate and have not talked demos yet...for some reason I think they don't, but I could be wrong.

Bent Gate does demo some of their boots. I was actually just down there inquiring about demos on the Zzeros.
Happiness is:

Postby joe4186 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:19 pm

indianhillsted wrote:That brings up a good point...who demos AT?

I'm planning on hitting AT/Tele Demo day at Copper, but wasn't sure about what shops offerred demos.

i'm pretty sure wilderness sports in silverthorne demos AT gear
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby rsincavage » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:31 pm

i'm pretty sure wilderness sports in silverthorne demos AT gear

They do- at least they did a year or two ago. I think Neptune in Boulder does as well.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he goes to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-Bob Dylan

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."
-Lloyd Dobler

PreviousNext