Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I need a new jacket

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

I need a new jacket

Postby emiller » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Well the time has come to buy a new jacket. I want something that can be used for general mountaineering or a day at the slopes. I was looking at Mountain Hardware Exposure II. Anybody have this jacket? or would love some recomendations as well, thanks.

Postby Prairie Native » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:17 pm

not to highjack a thread but does any one have the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man jacket? curious as to its warmth and durability.
Something witty.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:24 pm

I just got the mountain hardware exposure II jacket and tried it out this last weekend up at mt lady washington.

conditions:
25-40 degrees fahrenheit (started in the dark early morn)
very windy...I'd say between 20-30 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 60mph (could barely stand on the summit with wind)

I layered underneath it with the mountain hardware monkey man jacket and stayed perfectly comfortable sitting still. When moving I got a bit too warm with both of these on. Overall the jacket is awesome. It has a high collar and nice hood which proved itself in this past weekends wind. I would highly recommend it, but keep in mind it's sort of thin and is meant to be used with an insulating shell, but you probably already know that.

Prairie Native: the monkey man fleece is the best fleece i have ever owned. I've had it for about 4 years now and it's still going strong. Combine this with a windproof/waterproof shell and you got a bomber combo for winter.

Postby emiller » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:34 pm

Does it have a D-ring for lift tickets?

Postby ADKben » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:05 pm

I have a monkey man; but its not the jacket, its the new half-zip they just came out w/ for fall. I like it for what I bought it for, which is primarily casual use. I have a down sweater from patagonia that is MUCH lighter in weight, is warmer, as well as windproof. Also packability is an issue w/ the monkey man, it doesn't crunch down so small, by any means. So for backpacking purposes, the monkey man will rarely, if ever, be included. For casual use or under a shell, the monkey man is really nice. But the MM provides NO wind-proofing whatsoever, i mean the thing is like a siv, so its gotta be worn under a shell on windy days. Unless you already have like 3-4-5 different jackets, I'd refrain from getting the monkey man..i guess unless you just want a casual jacket, in which case this is great. lol

since when did the monkey man have a hood?? are u talking about the exposure jacket or ?

Postby ajkagy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:15 pm

ADKben wrote:since when did the monkey man have a hood?? are u talking about the exposure jacket or ?

exposure jacket has the hood...but yea the air goes right through the monkey man jacket, which is what it is meant to do. Definatly wasn't meant as a stand alone layer, which makes it an ideal insulation layer and makes it highly breathable.

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

not to highjack a thread but does any one have the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man jacket? curious as to its warmth and durability

I've got one too, its sweet. As stated before, its warm and soft, works phenomenally as an insulator and looks cool too. Great "fleece". Can't comment on the exposure though, but I have an REI generator down, probably the perfect down out there, not too thick, not too thin and keeps the wind out pretty well.

I need a new jacket

Postby SWalker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:08 am

SW

Postby JB99 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:47 pm

I am eagerly waiting my new Marmot Rubicon from Moosejaw, came with a free Precip.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

mountain hardware exposure II parka

Postby newnative » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 pm

I bought this jacket the beginning of this cold season, and have loved it. The entire jacket is functional, warm, provides great wind protection, and allows for layering, which we all know is critical. This is one of my favorite of all purchases thus far, bar none. I highly recommend...

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 am

so regarding gore-tex. do you have to get a million dollar arcteryx or is a lesser columbian jacket of the same quality? im guessing arcteryx's products are more expensive due to name brand and not quality above other products?
Something witty.

Postby krz2fer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:56 pm

Prairie Native wrote:not to highjack a thread but does any one have the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man jacket? curious as to its warmth and durability.

It's like warm hot chocolate or some steamy tea with honey (whatever you may prefer). +1 on the monkey.
Chris

Next