Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Packs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Winter Packs

Postby nomad » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 am

I have a question.... What would the recommended size be for a winter climbing pack? I am looking at the Osprey Exposures and the Black Diamonds. I have several light summit packs and overnighters but need a larger on for winter climbing, overnighting (2-3 days)

any thoughts would be appreciated as always!

rob
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

Postby caad4rep » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Fit, Fit, Fit is the key. Try em all on! I think the exposures look like nice packs but last year when I was in the market for a similar pack I went with the Gregory Alpinisto. Check it out.

Postby grizz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:09 pm

No suggestions yet?

Well, unfortunately I can’t offer any pack suggestions either. I use a sled, harness and a small pack. Depending on the terrain you are maneuvering the sled setup may or may not work for you. Good luck.
Colorado Native

Postby drex27 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:12 pm

I had the Osprey Exposure 50 for the past few years and just traded it in yesterday at REI. For winter camping and all the gear that it involves, especially if you are bringing ski and snow travel gear, it simply was not big enough for me. Its a fantastic technical pack, but I thought its size was not right for winter hiking or camping. I found that I could get away with a smaller pack for days when touring or going for a peak, and not big enough to hold full camping gear. The Exposure 66 might be something to look into though.

I decided to go with the bigger Aether's that still look decent in terms of a technical pack with the intention of carrying a smaller pack with it.

Odyssey

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Go Lite's Odyssey. I've used mine on a 5 day winter backpack with climbing gear (harness etc), avy gear (including a shovel) and crevasse gear (wands, pulley, etc) and everything fit. I have a women's small - it weighs 3 lbs 4 oz, and is just under 5000 ci. The men's is slightly heavier but holds more - the large is 3 lb 10 oz and 5800 ci, I believe.

These compress down dramatically - so I use mine as a summit pack as well. The best feature, though, is the zippered mesh pockets on the waist belt - I can fit sunscreen, lip balm, snacks, etc in them and grab it on the go, without holding everybody else up... at $199 it's a steal. And - it's definitely the most comfortable pack I own.