Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Recommend a good hiking hat for sun exposure?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:40 pm

Forgot to mention: My dermatologist (the one who removed the precancerous spot form my ear) strongly recommends a wide-brim hat PLUS sunblock (SPF 30 or higher). Ears, faces, and necks sure do get a lot of very direct sun exposure.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby Buckeye » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll check these all out!

Postby skier25 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:19 pm

The Seattle Sombrero is my favorite. It works extremely well. (Jared Workman has previous links).
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby strat1080 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:42 pm

I've always worn wide-brimmed hat but switched to a cape hat this year. The model is the REI Sahara Cape Hat and I got it for dirt cheap at an REI sale. It is 100% nylon and is very versatile. It packs down to nothing in your pack as well. You can drape the cover over your ears and neck for good coverage or wear it as a normal baseball cap. Unfortunately I don't think they sell it anymore. It may look a little dorky but it does protect your head from intense UV rays. I throw some sun-screen on my face, ears, and neck just to make sure.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby rlw49 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:53 pm

2nd the cape cap. Long bill, neck drape, cord with clamp for wind. The others mentioned are good also. Just personal preference.

Postby Cruiser » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 pm

+1 for the Seattle Sombrero. Mine is thrashed, but it still preforms like a champ no matter what the conditions. It's been on every summit that I've been on since 1999.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby strat1080 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:36 am

Isn't the Seattle Sombrero waterproof? I can't imagine how hot it would get hiking with that on. Waterproof/breathable fabrics do not breathe enough for moderate to high exertion activities. I imagine I would sweat like crazy with something like that on.

Cruiser wrote:+1 for the Seattle Sombrero. Mine is thrashed, but it still preforms like a champ no matter what the conditions. It's been on every summit that I've been on since 1999.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby Cruiser » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:50 am

strat1080 wrote:Isn't the Seattle Sombrero waterproof? I can't imagine how hot it would get hiking with that on. Waterproof/breathable fabrics do not breathe enough for moderate to high exertion activities. I imagine I would sweat like crazy with something like that on.

Yup, it's Gore-tex. On really warm days it can get a little toasty, but most of the time the breeze is blowing and the sweat wicks away before it starts dripping. I just can't bring myself to sport the Tilley. I'm pretty sure that Tilley retailers have to see some ID to prove that you're at least in your 50's before they can sell you a hat anyway. :D
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby FlyGirl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:17 am

I made my own cool cap by ordering some 14er.com patches, good for any outdoor activity. Polarized eyewear and 45 sunscreen do the trick for me.
No matter what cap you end up with a 14er.com patch will improve the appearance of any (even the dorky ones)!

Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

Climb14er

Postby Climb14er » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:33 am

Cruiser wrote:Yup, it's Gore-tex. On really warm days it can get a little toasty, but most of the time the breeze is blowing and the sweat wicks away before it starts dripping. I just can't bring myself to sport the Tilley. I'm pretty sure that Tilley retailers have to see some ID to prove that you're at least in your 50's before they can sell you a hat anyway. :D

That's funny!

I've been wearing Tilleys for the past seven years and the cotton/canvas T3 has saved my face, ears and neck from intense sunshine in all four seasons, on the peaks and on the ocean.

I like 'em so much that I picked up a lighter weight mesh hat for around town.

The Tilley can be worn with a balaclava or bandana underneath for additional warmth/protection from sun and wind and cold.

The hat works and many Tilley wearer's skin will prove it.

BTW, I'm turning fifty five next week. :wink:

Previous