Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for quality Boot

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Looking for quality Boot

Postby Scott Rogers » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:40 am

So I've gone through quite a few pairs of boots, but have never really found a pair that I have liked. My last pair were the Asolo Fugitive gtx, but they fell apart after only 150 miles or so. I have no problem hiking the 14ers during the summer in trail runners, but snow gives me cold feet.

Criteria:

-Must be waterproof
-Must be rigid enough to accept strap on crampons (I'm not looking for a mountaineering boot, already have a good pair, but I'm looking for something that will get me up a few couloirs in the spring if necessary)
-Must have a good sticky sole
-Must have a heritage of durability. I need something that will last through my rigorous adventures.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help
We can't change the world, but we can change the way we live.

Postby grock52 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:13 am

i was about to buy asolo's but now i don't know. my last pair was vasque, and they started falling apart after less than 100 miles.
When I look down from mountains lofty grandeur... my soul cries out, My God, how great Thou art

Postby gdub » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 am

I have the asolo powermatic 400 gv.
I don't really know how many miles I have on them but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 300.
At this point the soles have 'some' traction left but other than that, the boots are in great shape. I also couldn't be happier with how my feet were treated by them.
These are more of a backpacking boot than a hiking boot, but if you want to put crampons on your boots, I believe that is what you are going to need.
GW

Postby Devin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 am

I've had these for the past 5 1/2 years. They have been with me on all but one of my 14er summits, as well as numerous other trips. I am just now thinking about going and buying some new ones. Best light boot I have ever had.

Postby hurdles » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 am

my wife has the womens version of the fugitive, not sure what they are called. she has gotten a couple of yrs worth of hiking and climbing out of them and she says they are very comfy. i would say she has at least a 250-300 miles on them and they are still good to go. i myself have used a northface boot but i am not sure how crampon compatible they would be, i have not used them in that fashion.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”
Richard L. Evans

Postby tonyw » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 am

How about the Danner Mountain Light II? They're not as heavy, or as stiff as you think they would be. Plenty of good online reviews to read. I think Sportsmans Warehouse stocks them if you want to try them on. I don't know why hunting stores seem to carry them, but oh well, the price is right.

Cabela's has them on sale now. They also have a house brand copy, that's made in China. I picked up a pair of those too, and they seem fine.

Postby quiznberry » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:20 am

Count it all joy when you encounter various trials. James 1:2

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:51 am

These are what I use in snow conditions:

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/336

I use them with a clip-in type crampons (BD Cyborg), but you should be able to use a strap as well if that is what you have. They are warm, waterproof and comfortable all day. I have climbed snowy class 3 and 4 terrain in these as well. They are pretty stiff, you could use them for ice climbing and glacier travel too.

Not sure if that meets your criteria, I know you said you have a mountaineering boot, but these are great. I know other people who have these (and the women's version too) and they all love them in winter.