Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

tent and sleeping bag suggestions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Jas_IA » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:41 am

I've got a marmot sawtooth bag and recently I had the chance to finally use it in cool weather, got down to 25 degrees. The bag is rated for 15 deg but I think that is pretty conservative (others have said the same). After about an hour I had to losen up the strings around the head and unzip the bag about 10 inches to let some cool air in. After that night I decided the bag should keep me comfy well into the single digits.

Postby strat1080 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:59 pm

I just purchased the Marmot Sawtooth while it was on sale at REI. If it wasn't on sale I probably would have splurged more and got an ultralight model with my dividend plus the discount next year. I can't say much for how it works outdoors yet but I can say that the worksmanship is impeccable. It is built and designed very well and is a Marmot staple. Overall from what I hear Marmot makes excellent sleeping bags. The WM and FF stuff is just way beyond my budget.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby Papillon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:18 pm

I have an MSR Sidewinder (which was replaced by the Hubba Hubba) and a 20 degree western mountaineering bag and I cannot complain about either.

The Bibler tents are bomb-proof but pricey. The Eldorado (cheapest model) runs around $300 sans vestibule.

The Sidewinder has a mostly mesh interior so if I tried to use it in the winter and the wind picked up, I'd best have my down bag within a bivy sack or I'd be in trouble - check the Hubba Hubba makeup however.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:40 pm

I just picked up this tent at REI for 250 as I was sick of carrying 7-8 lbs with my big 4 season tent.. have been in some cold and snowy weather already and it is warm as toast. double vestibules make for decent space inside. i updated the guylines right away.. pretty stable little beast.

here are links i found for reviews as the main rei page blows for pictures..

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... e%20Curry/

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... w%20Mytys/

Previous