Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Camping in an Igloo!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby firsttracks » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 am

69Bronc wrote:I may be interested in the Ouray Ice Festival. I'll talk to you about it next time I see you.

69bronc: We should also get out and have a New Mexico igloo-making demo day. As soon as we get some white stuff down here, let's head up Pajarito for some igloo-making fun. (Nice new avatar, by the way.)

Postby Igloo Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:42 am

firsttracks wrote:No problem. I'll handle logistics for this one. Here are some potential dates that I think I'm free:

December 21-23 (Long's Peak?)
December 27-28 (Thursday, Friday -- quick trip up Long's Peak?)
January 11-13 (Ouray Ice Festival)
January 25-27 (Friday - Sunday -- Long's Peak?)

How do those work for you, Igloo Ed? How about for everyone else?

Thanks for taking it on.
The Dec. 21-23 would work well.
Hopefully the drift that forms on the west side of the top is not quite rockhard boiler plate by that time.
I might have one experienced builder/climber that'll want to join us. Him and I went up Kieners last July.

Postby Ken Gross » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:52 am

Hey Ed, can your Igloo Maker be broken down into roughly equal weighing parts, so that the weight can be split up between 2 people?
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby Igloo Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 pm

kentheskier wrote:Hey Ed, can your Igloo Maker be broken down into roughly equal weighing parts, so that the weight can be split up between 2 people?

The two largest panels would need to be put on your pack with the straps that come with the tool. The other components could be put inside a pack. I think the weight can be pretty even when split like this. The End-Panel is a little big but it should fit in a pack.
Here's a link to our manual page that shows the parts: http://www.grandshelters.com/igloo-man-p3.htm
The End-Panel is 10 X 13 inches.
I usually split up the weight with the stove/fuel or some other shared gear as it's nice to have all the parts ready when I start building the igloo rather than going into my pack to get things out.

Postby Devin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:58 pm

firsttracks wrote:
69Bronc wrote:I may be interested in the Ouray Ice Festival. I'll talk to you about it next time I see you.

69bronc: We should also get out and have a New Mexico igloo-making demo day. As soon as we get some white stuff down here, let's head up Pajarito for some igloo-making fun. (Nice new avatar, by the way.)

I would DEFINITELY be up for some of that. Get some practice before venturing out too far. Let's hope we get another good winter this year.

I figured you might like the avatar. :wink:

Postby Igloo Ed » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:38 pm

firsttracks wrote:How do those work for you, Igloo Ed?

I tried to PM you?

Postby firsttracks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:20 am

Igloo Ed wrote:I tried to PM you?

I didn't get the PM. Feel free to email me: ryan.maupin@gmail.com

I might not be able to go Dec 21-23 after all. But, perhaps between Christmas and New Year's.

I will definitely be at the Ouray Ice Festival. I'm free that Saturday afternoon if you want to get people together for a demo then.

Postby catfish hank » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 am

Hiya Ed,

Looks like you got a great product there. Just a couple questions. One regarding the 7 foot sized igloo. Im a little over 6 foot. I take it the 7 foot igloo is measured by the iniside diameter dimension? Is a 7 footer going to be tight for taller dudes. Also do you have any recommendations for packing snow into the ice-box. Only concerned that manually packing in snow for 2-3 hours will chill my hands out and also eventually soak my gloves. I'd rather use a packing instrument to limit my hand exposure to the white stuff. I am using a snow sled so weight of a packing instrument wont hinder me from bringing one.

Postby Igloo Ed » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 pm

Hey Catfish,
I'm 5'7" and the seven foot works well for me. I do have a extra long bag though, so you might be able to use the 7 foot igloo. The seven foot is measured at the floor and the walls do lean in right away just like most tents. The lean angle of the first block is 23 degrees. Possibly you could put a small piece of old foam sleeping pad between the wall and your feet so your feet don't get cold when your feet compress the fill in your sleeping bag. You'll also need to wrap your ground cloth/tarp up over your feet so your bag doesn't touch the wall. Anything absorbent that touches the wall through the night will be wet in the morning.
As far as packing the snow into the form with a tool of some kind, you need to be able to feel what you are packing. If you have loose snow with chunks of ice in it, you'll need to pack around the chunks and kinda encapsulate the chunks in the loose snow as you pack it. If you shove the chunks of ice into the already packed block, it will fracture the entire block and the block will fall when you move the form.
You will need some water proof gloves or mitts when packing the warmer/wet snows but most ski gloves will only get wet between the finger where it is warm and the snow melts in mid winter cold conditions. I prefer using a mitt so my hands stay warmer and they don't get wet between the fingers like gloves do.
If you're not worried about weight, I'd rather carry an extra pair of gloves over a packing tool. Those extra gloves might come in handy some day.

Outside

Postby Falcon3 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:05 pm

There was a really nice article in Outside this month about Ed and his igloos. When I move to the mountains I'll be sure to buy one of his contraptions.

Postby firsttracks » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:28 pm

I started up another thread in the "Climbing Connection" forum, but I'll post here, too:

Igloo Ed and I are trying to finalize plans for an igloo demo day:

Longs Peak Igloo Trip: December 26-28.

Igloo Demo: Build igloos in the Boulder Field on the 26-27. Build on the summit on the 28th (?). Depending on the number of people that want to come, you might be able to spend the night in an igloo to test it out. (Plan on bringing a tent / sleeping bag / usual winter camping gear.)

Climb: North Face Cable Route (conditions permitting) on the 28th. Experienced, technical winter climbers are welcome to join us. Let me know if you want to climb with us so I can coordinate gear.

Please PM me or post here if interested.

-Ryan

Previous