Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The best cooking system ever?!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Kojones » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:18 am

Vote me in for a Whisperlite. All around the best due to ease of use and ease of maintenance.

While I have not tried it yet (soon enough, folks, soon enough), I'd vote for the Reactor based on the reviews I have read. I've put a lot or research time into this (vs. the JetBoil) and vote this second. Remember, though, the Reactor and JetBoil are useful primarily for boiling water.

Give me raw food, I'd choose the Whisperlite. Give me freeze dried, I'd choose the Reactor.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:54 am

Kojones wrote:
While I have not tried it yet (soon enough, folks, soon enough), I'd vote for the Reactor based on the reviews I have read.

I'm kind of watching as the reviews come in on the Reactors right now myself. It is certainly an intriguing design (and may be the answer to some of Jet Boil's problems in difficult conditions).

What I am really curious about is MSR's claims of cold weather performance out of a canister stove... My one and only canister stove (one of the original Giga stoves) performs horribly in any temperature below freezing, and at the weight of the Reactor system it would need to work for snowmelting to be of any use to me at this point!

Still, I'm intrigued...

Postby firsttracks » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:23 am

I'll second upndown's vote for the MSR Dragonfly as the best all-around mountaineering stove.

I had to rebuild mine one time (in almost 10 years), but it works great in subzero temps at high altitude (>14,000').

I prefer the Dragonfly over the XGK because of the adjustable gas flow setting. This works great for melting cheese to dip tortillas in -- quesadillas rock!

Postby upndown » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:56 am

coloradokevin wrote:My one universal complaint with all liquid fueled MSR stoves concerns the cheap plastic pumps they provide. I've had these fail on my Whisperlite once, and Dragonfly twice
The pump on my Dragonfly broke too. It's been so long ago I forgot about that. I thought it was my fault for putting the fuel cannister in my pack with the pump in it. I don't do that anymore. I remove it when I pack it.

Postby hurdles » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:14 am

i have the jetboil system and have had no problems w/it, even in colder conditions.....not that i have done the -20 that was mentioned earlier
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”
Richard L. Evans

Postby COmedic04 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:14 am

I have a Mitchell ultra-small stove that uses Primus butane/propane canisters and I love it! It's similar in size and function to the MSR Pocket Rocket.

Slightly along a different idea, anyone else go out and get the new Guyot Designs "Squishy Bowls"? They're made of food-grade silicone, and are awesome! Very easy to clean, VERY easy to pack!! Check em out at http://www.guyotdesigns.com
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:22 pm

MSR Pocket Rocket
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby timf » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:39 pm

I know tons of people absolutely love several modesl on the MSR line.

I myself have had only 2. Currently JetBoil (I advise on getting the stability kit). Make sure you yell "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" before pushing the button. Yet to try it out this winter though.

The old system I use and still have, I'm sure many will malign because of its lack of popularity. GAZ 270 was the only stove I used for 11 years. Ignore all the reviews of instability (fuel canister is wider then JetBoil and lower in height overall). It also works awesome in the winter even considering it uses a propane/butane mix. No priming needed or parts that need to be replaced. I've also NEVER EVER needed to clean it or do any maintenance. They are also < $30. Can't say enough about this ol faithful stove. The only down side if there is one is spec-wise it's a little heavier.

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:08 pm

firsttracks wrote:I prefer the Dragonfly over the XGK because of the adjustable gas flow setting. This works great for melting cheese to dip tortillas in -- quesadillas rock!

Ahhh... See, you are the kind of backcountry chef that I need to start hiking/climbing with :)

My preference to my old XGK over my current Dragonfly was almost exactly for the opposite reason... I almost never do more than boil water or melt snow, so my adjustable Dragonfly often goes unadjusted!

But, I sure wouldn't mind hanging out in camp with some true backcountry gourmets!!!

Previous