Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Summit Photos Made Easy

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Summit Photos Made Easy

Postby CRSpeedy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:18 pm

I stumbled upon this little gadget today and thought it would be pretty handy while climbing. I can't tell you how long I've spent trying to find a nice, flat rock to set my camera on, get the photo level, and then waste another 5 minutes taking shots with my head cut off.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/93ef/

Not sure if it's worth $25, but I may consider making my own little setup using the same idea--maybe a little longer as well.

Just thought I would share :lol:

Idea

Postby Lyssah » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:56 pm

Seems like a great idea, but Ive been on some pretty windy summits and with my luck I wouldnt even be able to get myself in the picture at all and end up taking pictures of a random shrubbery, or it would get blown out of my hands and eaten by a marmot. (which would be worth the story);)
The strong live off the weak, and the clever live off the strong.

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:25 pm

My favorite is the "gorillapod". Since I bought this thing I've had a lot more photos of me (or us, if the better half is along) than I ever got in the past! You can attach it to tree branches, rocks, ice axes that are planted in snow, set it in sand, etc.

Check it out here:

http://www.gorillapod.com

I bought mine (the smallest size) for around $20 at Best Buy, and it works great on my small Canon camera... A number of my friends and family are also swearing by it now. My dad has the middle size for his SLR digital, and a profesional photographer friend of mine has played around with the largest version on her cameras (though I think she typically uses more expensive traditional tripods for work!) .

EDITED TO ADD:

Looking at their website, they now offer the thing in designer colors! Also, you can buy it "unpackaged" for a lower price and more eco-friendly purchase :)

Postby native_mntguy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Thats a great idea. I have a great little tripod that works pretty well on the summit but this would be great for some shot on the way up or down where the pod wouldn't make sense.
The best things in life are those that are the hardest to obtain.

Postby Two Headed Boy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:10 pm

I bet it would be fairly easy to make a attachment for you trekking poles and just take your pictures that way. If you use trekking poles you would be adding virtually no weight.