Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

iinflatable kayaks or folbot

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

iinflatable kayaks or folbot

Postby floodin1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:18 pm

Anyone have experience with inflatable Kayaks, AIRE in particular, or the folbot foldable kayaks. How do they perform in class 3 whitewater. The portability of either would be my main reason for interest. Just wanted some feedback on them before deciding on these or a hardside.

thanks
Enjoying my second wind. Give life, Be an organ donor. Recieved Dbl lung transplant in 2003.

Postby tress » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 pm

Not sure about the folbot foldable kayaks. but the "duckies" are fine. no worries with portage except how big they are.
Nothing beats a kayak, IMO, what are your concerns about a hardside?

Postby firsttracks » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:46 pm

I've used a Pack Cat in Class 3 water before, and it works great. Surprisingly smooth and easy to handle.

Check out Alpacka Rafts

Postby WillyGoat » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm

If portability is your main issue check out Alpacka Rafts. They weigh as little as 4 lbs 4 oz and pack down to the size of a two man tent.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/store/index. ... 53&do=list

I saw some guys in Denali who backpacked up to the headwaters of the Sanctuary River and then floated out. It looked like a total blast and their packs were about the same size as mine. Here is a video on YouTube of people doing some sick runs on small creeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pvMIXSTnNY

Postby CAYCE » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:56 pm

I have an aire lynx 1. I have paddled it many times through the class 4 Royal Gorge and other similar runs. It is a fantastic boat.