Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bolting Shoes to Snowshoes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Bolting Shoes to Snowshoes

Postby summitrunner » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:04 pm

Has anyone bolted their shoes to their snowshoes? I am a snowshoe racer and I am trying to figure out the best way in doing this. I had a problem with my feet sliding around in the bindings no matter how tight I tightened them. Let me know if you have done this and how it has worked for you! I talked to Christy Sports and they said they could "try" and do this...but I am weary of someone ruining my racing snowshoes!

This is an image of my snowshoes.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby Spam » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:05 pm

There are a lot of similarities between snow shoes and xcountry skis. You would think that there could be some means of integrating the style of boot and running shoes with binding system that keeps the heel and foot more stable like you are thinking of. Xcountry skis use a toe locked binding that would provide that stability.........hmmmmmmmmm

Out of curiousity, with your experience, what advice would you give for the best lengths for differant conditions for a 165 lb. male? I have heard a lot of theories and wondering what yours are. What length of shoe do you use?
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby pvnisher » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

I think Kahtoola or someone makes a snowshoe with click-in boots... Not sure if you want to buy a new setup, though.

Haven't done it, but my guess would be to remove the footbed from your boots, drill some holes (3-4?) and put some bolts in them (flat heads). Then get some strips of metal that will sandwich your decking. A hole in each end of the strips (so 4 strips for 4 bolts, 2 holes per strip). The bolt will go through your boot, then through the first strip, then through an opening in your decking, then finally the second strip.

Kinda hard to explain, just came up with it now. Anyway, you'd just ruin your boots and not your snowshoes in case you don't like it.

Postby summitrunner » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:01 pm

Spam wrote:Out of curiousity, with your experience, what advice would you give for the best lengths for differant conditions for a 165 lb. male? I have heard a lot of theories and wondering what yours are. What length of shoe do you use?

I am 150 lbs and I use the Crescent Moon Gold Series 12 snowshoes. They are 22"x8" and weigh approx. 1 lb 6 oz per. I like these a lot except the bindings. They have little to no flotation. I have fell in below my waist on runs before. They are the only snowshoes I own and I do not climb winter 14ers in them. They are strictly for running on trails that are packed (snowmobile trails, nordic trails, etc.).
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE